DCC compatibility of Lighted, Heavyweight Passenger Cars

Started by nx2400@aol.com, December 22, 2023, 05:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nx2400@aol.com

Are the lighted, heavyweight passenger cars DCC compatible, or are they DC only?

trainman203

trainman203

They are pretty nice looking cars too. The only thing I wish about them was that there was a way to switch the lights on and off. I really don't want them on most of the time and I don't feel like cutting a wire.  I know there will be some that say it's so easy to install some kind of switch. But.  I don't wire.  I don't do soldering or electrical work of any kind. It's just something I choose not to do, there being so many other much more enjoyable ways for me to enjoy this pastime.

Tenwheeler01

The ones I have run just fine on DCC.  But you do need to make sure you have a large enough power supply for all your locomotives and passenger cars with lights that will active on the layout at the same time.  On my 5 amp power supply I have had 3 sound locos running, 6 sound locos setting idle playing sounds and 9 passage cars with LED lights at the same time.       

Now I am thinking about install my older decoders in them so I can control the lights.  But this will eat up loco slots fast. 

Len

Quote from: Tenwheeler01 on December 28, 2023, 12:37:38 PMNow I am thinking about install my older decoders in them so I can control the lights.  But this will eat up loco slots fast. 

If you set the decoders in the lighted passenger cars in a train to the same address, you should be able to control the lights just using one address slot per passenger train.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.