News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformer over voltage

Started by The Chapel, December 25, 2023, 02:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Chapel

OK Bachman.  Electrical engineer here.  We have a Bachman train set.  The train has stopped working, its only a few years old.  The transformer's rated output is 16V.  Measured output is 26V.  As we all know, higher voltages cause motors to overheat.  Not only has the high heat caused the plastic brush holder to melt and back off the brush, the friction at the drive worm gear melted the plastic and seized it solid. 

This is an American 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive set purchased new from the Kennesaw, GA railroad museum.
Please make this customer happy and help continue the Bachman Train's reputation.

A new train and power supply is requested.

the Bach-man

Dear EE,
Please contact the service department and explain thee situation.
They will be happy to help.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

jward

As an electrical engineer you are undoubtedly aware of the loading effect on power supplies. I tested a Bachmann controller I have on my test track and found the output read 26.9v at full throttle with no load. Placing a locomotive on the rails cut that voltage in half. I'd say given this that your controller is working properly. After all, this is basic first semester electronic theory.

I have been in this hobby for over 50 years, and I have NEVER come across a worm gear melting from friction. Neither has anybody else I've talked to. The amount of friction necessary to generate that kind of heat in a gear train would overload and burn out the motor long before the gears ran hot. The only thing i've ever seen or heard of in a model locomotive were the old pancake motors used in early Bachmann locomotives which had plastic motor bearings. If the motor overheated the bearings would melt and seize the motor. But that's not a gear train problem. And those motors were phased out of production well over 20 years ago so they wouldn't be in a set bought new.

Frankly, I'm more than just a little curious what you did to cause the gear train to seize up. I suspect that whatever it is, that's what caused your motor to burn out. This is simply not anything that would happen under normal usage.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Penn1974

Good afternoon. I read your post and I have a problem with the way you you put forth your comments. So you just joined yesterday and want Bachmann to give you a free transformer and new train that you have had for some years. You have not stated if it ran good before or just recently. If it ran OK before have you taken the time to clean and oil a set that has been sitting since whenever. To come off with your first sentence as being an electrical engineer are you also a mechanical engineer that knows about dried grease and dried oil? I do not think you are even close to know what the problem is but just give me something for free because I said so.