News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Plow brackets

Started by rslater, January 05, 2008, 08:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rslater

Hi Bach-man

Can you tell me if and when plow brackets will be available for us that don't have the plow but have the holes in the smoke box sides.  Need to cover the holes. ???

Thanks
Richard

the Bach-man

Dear Richard,
I don't know the answer to that- I'll see if I can find out.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

mackers

You may wait a long time for the brackets you mention. !! However, you can buy some nut/bolt/washer white metal castings from Ozark Miniatures and put them in the existing holes in the boiler, they look fine and you can get them anywhere, now.!!

rslater

Thanks for the idea.  I have some NBWs on hand.  Will see how they look.

glennk28

I have been looking at photos--it is hard to see whether those are bolts or rivets.  So perhaps if you can't find the nbw's you can just use some escutcheon pins that match other rivets in size.   

Just went out and measured a bracket on an On3 loco--4" wide, 14" long, the part that sticks out is also 4".  Given 15mm= 1 ft, that would be 17.5mm long, 5mm wide, and 5mm sticking out.  5mm is close to 3/16"  Keep in mind that these were probably shop-made as needed, so need not be too accurate. The bracket appears riveted.  gj

glennk28

I looked at my loco when it arrived, and the measurements I scaled up from the O model don't look right. I found a catalog sheet from Trackside Details--their #TD-135 brackets may be what we need. I have ordered some--the photo does not show the surfaces, only the edge view. 

glennk28

Hey, guys--I hit Pay Dirt!!  Package arrived from Trackside Details. In it--a pair of #TD-135 brackets.  These almost were made for the K-27.  The mounting bolts are just half a tad too far apart to fit right into those holes in the sides of the smokebox.  Easily corrected with a mouse-tail file.  A bath in "Blacken It" and a couple drops of super glue and we're done.  DO NOT drill the forward/lower holes deeper.  Cut off the mounting pin to about 1/16". That's the mounting ring for the smokebox front in there--you don't want to lock the front in place.

These are from:Trackside Details, 7070 N. Harrison Ave., Pinedale, CA 93650.  They sell for $3.50 a pair.  Shipping is $5, plus sales tax for Californians. 

To make the postage worth while, I also got two Nolan or "Butterfly" rerailers to hang on the side sills of the tender. TD-204 at $7 each.