STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2022, 05:45:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  Large
| | |-+  Large G Scale - Desire to Reconfigure Layout
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Large G Scale - Desire to Reconfigure Layout  (Read 208 times)
Larry917

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »

I have a Big G Scale that is approximately 7ft by 4ft in size that is too big for the space I have. The track is the original that came with the set setup on plywood board. I want to reconfigure the layout to a smaller size and need track curves to hopefully make a figure 8, and other track components to allow trains to run side by side in the reduced space. I'm open to suggestions and ideas on how I can best leverage my investment and enjoyment pleasure. Thanks.
mickeykelley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »

You will get more opinions, but remember the old saying, opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one so take with a grain of salt. Here is my opinion.  In G scale, a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood is way too small as it is.  Now this will depend of which engines you have, but that equates to a 4 foot diameter which is pretty much minimum for any engine except very small things like Eggliners, etc.  Possibly Shay or climax.  Adding double line and more issues.  So shrinking is even a bigger issue.  To do plywood size layout, Id suggest you move to HO instead of G.  Although I saw someone did a layout on I think 2 foot diameter, but "to me" would become boring very quick.
Loco Bill Canelos

Model railroading since 1947

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:04:42 AM »

Hi Larry,

What size space do you have?  It may be impossible to find ready made curves that will work in the space you have. I see no way to run trains side by side even on the 7x4 size you already have.  A smaller scale as recommended by Mickey is the way to go until you get a bigger space.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!
Homo Habilis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:36:04 AM »

You might look at the
Pizza Layout posts by Vic Smith

on the Large Scale Central forum for possible inspiration.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: