STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2022, 05:26:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  Various Coupler Types Help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Various Coupler Types Help  (Read 275 times)
Darkstone

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2022, 02:48:08 PM »

I'm aware of various types of couplers from tension lock (hook and loop) to knuckle and horn hook, but when it comes to having old rolling stock with truck mounted couplers, how would I go about changing my system over?

IE: I have truck mounted gear boxes and want to switch over to the NEM system somehow, how would I go about doing that? I have some Thomas and Friends stuff I want to run with normal rolling stock provided to me by the club I'm part of but I've had to Macgyver my own solution for the couplings as it stands. For the time being I have an upside-down Kadee knuckle coupler with a reversed drop bar that I hook a chain to that I can then couple to the locomotives back tender hook. This works on flats but loses viability while going downhill as the cars ram into the engine and cause the coupling to be shaken loose.

Is it possible to switch over from the current system to NEM or would I have to look specifically for OO scale stuff using the NEM system in order to make a transition car from there using their various attachments? As it stands right now I have no other solution than the chain and don't wish to make any permanent changes to any of my rolling stock or engines. This includes filing down or cutting off certain parts to make ends meet.

I want to be as least destructive as possible. Alternatively if I could somehow print up a 3D piece to hook into place on the truck mounted gearbox and the tension lock couplers then my problems would be solved and I wouldn't have to switch systems. I could just exchange the coupler and move on.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »

There’s no around the best way.  Replace the “talgo” trucks (with mounted couplers) with plain trucks.  Talgo trucks are usually inferior anyway. Great replacement trucks are available from umpteen places.   Mount Kadee draft gear boxes with Kadee couplers on the cars.  They are the best, it’s been established for decades.

Yes, you will have to do some cutting and fitting.  But that’s part of model railroading beyond train sets.  Plug and play trains are only a relatively recent phenomenon.  It’s hard today to imagine the model railroad Jurassic when people commonly made their own steam locomotives out of brass sheet and bar stock.
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 04:26:23 PM »

If you want to retain a secondary coupler system of some cars you can make two “conversion cars” with the different couplers on each end.  Works ok as long as you aren’t switching.
Darkstone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:22 PM »

Now more than ever I'm actually looking for OO scale stuff that uses the NEM system as that seems to be the best option available to me. Using the NEM system I can make a transition car using available NEM compatible couplings in both tension lock and kadee knuckles as well. But I'm having difficulty finding some things. I managed to find a 7 plank car that's unpainted from Dapol at Hattons but it's currently on pre-order and not available for normal purchase currently.

Are you aware of any OO retailers in the US by any chance? I'm unsure about whether or not I can get any UK stuff.
Len

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:51 PM »

Shapeways has OO NEM style coupler pockets available:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GYQQXJ4KK/20x-oo-gauge-nem-pockets

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: