News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

70-ton cracked axels

Started by Musepro, January 02, 2024, 11:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musepro

I bought a NOS HO 70-ton switcher. When I first put it on the Bachmann EZ Riders it ran smooth in both directions for a little while during break in. After a bit, the trucks started hopping. I discovered that the geared axles had cracked. After some searching, it appears this is common with 1st and 2nd gen models.

Bachmann has no parts to rectify this manufacturing defect and directed me here to see if anyone knew where I could get gears. I did see that a shop on Shapeways has them but I also read a user review that stated all of them split when inserting the wheels. I'd prefer to not spend $23 if there is a good likelihood they will fail. NWSL has nothing that I see.

I think I saw one modeler use the current, 3rd-gen trucks in his 2nd-gen chassis. Can anyone confirm? Bachmann is out of these as well but maybe I can eventually get a pair.

Thanks for any help!

jt burke

Len

With Shapeway gears I measure the axle diameter with a micrometer, then ream the gear hole with a drill bit one or two thousandth of an inch smaller than the axle. I put a drop of blue Loc-Tite on the axle as i press the gear on to keep it from slipping. So far I haven't had any gears split.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.