News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC Climax 25760, adding DCC decoder

Started by Tom_C, January 08, 2024, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_C

I see what looks like a DC climax for sale, and in the pics it has an 8 pin plug with the jumpers for DC use.  Can a decoder be wired using that plug?  The box doesn't say DCC ready so just want to be sure.  I don't want to have to tear it apart to wire it up.  I know I'll need to add a speaker and I can use a sugar cube easy enough.

John

Yes, there is already a space for a 28mm speaker under the Bachmann board. The 8 pin plug is standard. I would suggest getting a keep alive also. The conductivity of the climax trucks is not great. The wood load detail has a great cavity for either decoder or keep-alive placement.

Tom_C

Quote from: John on January 16, 2024, 05:05:11 PMYes, there is already a space for a 28mm speaker under the Bachmann board. The 8 pin plug is standard. I would suggest getting a keep alive also. The conductivity of the climax trucks is not great. The wood load detail has a great cavity for either decoder or keep-alive placement.

Thanks for the info.  As for keep alives, the new decoder will have connection for that, but on a side topic, how would one add a keep alive to a regular bachmann decoder... It appears many of the non-sound decoders are all the same decoders in various locomotives?  What I've gleaned from various posts about this is to find the - and + connections after the bridge rectifier, but I've not found any solid info on where that would be found on the bachmann decoders.  Some posts say to connect to the capacitor on the output of the rectifier... I haven't looked yet, but wonder if anyone has identified or confirmed that location.