News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Rail Cars

Started by RedMt Dave, January 14, 2024, 03:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMt Dave

I'm new to the HO size train systems. I'm designing a two track layout with all of my curves using 18"/30 deg Bachmann E-Z track.
I plan on having both freight and passenger trains.
My question is will I have any issues with longer passenger cars, like the Rapido Budd Baggage-Dorm or similar?

jward

Yes, you will have trouble with longer passenger cars on 18" radius. Especially with a brand that's as close to scale as Rapido. It "may" be possible to run them on 24" radius, but even that's pushing things.

This brings up a common newbie misconception. You cannot run whatever you want on the track that comes in the train sets, let alone the even sharper 15" radius curves. Larger cars and locomotives require larger radius curves. Not only will they look better, they also will not run into the physical limitations inherent in smaller radii. One of the biggest of these is coupler swing. Another is truck swing. These two items can only pivot so far. Exceed those limitations and things come off the rails. If you want to use those 18" radius curves, stick with smaller steam, 4 axle diesels, and cars shorter than 50 feet in length.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RedMt Dave

Len

There's a prototype for everything. The Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad ran some 72ft passenger cars. So you could use some more or less modern 72ft passenger cars and say your railroad purchased used from the RF&P.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Tenwheeler01

This falls under compromise area of the hobby.  The available space issue.  I am stuck with 18" radius curves do to space limitations.  But there is still a lot of equipment that works just fine on 18".   The longer passenger cars have a heavy amount of over hang on 18".  So I hind my curves with scenery.  And mainly stick with 40'and 36' rolling stock and the 50'and 60' passenger cars. And short steam locos 2-6-0, 2-8-0.  A mikado with a standard tender does not look to bad.  There are several passenger cars that will run just fine on 18" curves (They will note this in there product descriptions.)  Also check the instructions on your passenger cars, Some of the Rapido passenger cars have instructions on how to operate them on 18",  This is usually going a long shank coupler. 

But if you have the space go with larger curves.     

Ralph S

QuoteThis falls under compromise area of the hobby.  The available space issue.
I second this response.  One can also add that doing the compromise you add a puzzle to your layout.  That is, having long train cars can add that switching puzzle to your layout.  You have to remember that the long train cars cannot travel on say the "A" main line, but they can travel on the "B" main line.  This is no different than areas where containers cars cannot be double stacked due to the mountain tunnels not having adequate clearance for them.

If space is an issue, then maximize the main line to support the long cars.  Use the short radius for the smaller cars.  One thing to note is that if you have plenty of short length cars, the puzzle is much easier to work with.  If you have more longer cars than short ones, not so much.

This is my compromise.

trainman203

Long years ago Athearn offered shorty passenger cars in both heavyweight and lightweight selections.  They weren't shortened that much, they still looked OK and may have been 70 foot cars or so. They were made to operate on 18 inch radius train track. They still appear eBay all the time. Also, a little later, Rivarossi Offered a line of Shorty heavyweight cars that were a little bit shorter if I remember right, maybe 60 footers.  All these cars looked pretty good and looked especially good to my 14-year-old beginning Model Railroader eyes back in the days when I could still go down to the depot and see Trains of real heavyweight cars go through.

After I re-entered model railroading 17 years ago, I acquired a complete Train of Rivarossi 60' heavyweight cars, mostly baggage and RPO cars with a couple of rider coaches to go at the end.  at the same time I purchased a number of express box cars and express refrigerator cars, some of which Bachmann has had in their line in the recent past, and created the only passenger train that ever made the railroads money, the head-end-Heavy trains sometimes called Pullman Green freight trains.

Terry Toenges

I run Athearn 72' heavyweights on mine with 18 and 15 radius curves. There is a lot of overhang but they do run.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

These are Athearn 72' Heavyweight passenger cars. You can run 72 footers. There is a lot of overhang but you can do it. The proof is in the video.
The outside is 18" radius, the inside is mostly 15" radius, and the middle is a mixture of 15" and 18". I do have ne 22" radius is there. So
https://youtu.be/WWhbFqJ0NY0
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It won't work with shallow flanges. I used Athearn's stock wheels on the center axles on all truck because they have deep flanges. They are pretty light.
I used all metal wheel sets with shallow flanges on the outer axles of each truck to give them some weight. I think I used Bachmann wheel sets.
That gave me the best of both worlds - weight and depth.
Feel like a Mogul.