News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Challenger Driveshaft issues

Started by DTaquinto, January 17, 2024, 04:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTaquinto

Hello! Just recently got into HO trains and my first full set was The Challenger item #00621
After a couple loops around the track it completely stopped but I could still hear the motor running. Next I took it apart and put the drive shaft back together. After my repair I put it back on the track and now it's running but with a very noticeable clicking/vibrating sound. I still have a feeling it's something to do with the end of the driveshaft (the smaller cylinder piece) I'm wondering now if this piece is glued or not. The gears work fine and so does the motor. I've also noticed a bit of white stuff around that cylinder piece as well, that's why I think it's glue. Has anyone experienced this issue and does anyone know how to fix it?

jward

I've run into the slipping drive shaft problem myself. The universal, as you have guessed, may be the problem. They can split, and not grip the worm or motor shaft enough not to slip. The part should be replaced, but it is not available as a seperate item in the parts store. WHy not? If parts are known to fail why not have spares available for those of us who choose to make our own repairs?

I am investigating the use of aftermarket parts to replace the defective universal. You can buy universals from NWSL, but you need to know the motor shaft diameter to do so.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I've found some of these A-Line drive couplings will work in Bachmann diesels:

https://ppw-aline.com/search?q=coupling

Some experimentation may be needed.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.