News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Proposed Train Layout

Started by RedMt Dave, January 18, 2024, 03:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMt Dave

I hope this process works. I'm attaching a .PNG file of my proposed HO train layout as designed with SCARM.
The left vertical length  is 8' long and the top horizontal length is 10' long.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Len

Getting a "URL Not Found" error on that link. If you put the complete URL between [i m g] [/i m g] tags, without the spaces, the pic should show up in your post. You can use the "PREVIEW" button to see if it works.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

You could always do what I do: het yourself a FLikr or Imgur account, upload your photos and image files there, then use the generated link for forum posts.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

In flickr if you right click on the image, then click 'inspect' the details of the image come up. You'll see links to the small version of the .jpg file and the large version. Clink on the 'large' line, then right click and select 'open link in new tab'. Go to that tab and copy the URL, which should be: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53474461709_2850a3e94d_k.jpg

Put that between the img tags and you should get this in your post:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Looking at your plan I do have some constructive suggestions. First, and most likely to impact your enjoyment of the layout is the location of that one crossover and the industrial sidings. I assume due to the design that this will be shoved back in a corner of the room. If so, the switches I mentioned will be out of your reach. If and when things inevitably derail there, how do you intend to retrieve the derailed cars? As a practical matter, anything over 30" from the edge is out of your reach.

Another thing I've noticed is that all your curves are 18" radius. You've asked about running full length passenger cars. Have you considered making your outer loop 22" radius to better accommodate such cars?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Misunderstanding the implication of curves that are too sharp is a common issue with new modelers.

RedMt Dave

Based on suggestions, I modified my layout into an outer loop using Bachmann 22"/22.5 deg curved track and the inner loop will remain with Bachmann 18"/30 deg curved track.
I plan on using passenger cars that are specifically compatible with 18" radius track.

JWard - BTW, I was born in PGH on the Southside.  My grandfather worked at J&L Steel.

jward

Quote from: RedMt Dave on January 20, 2024, 03:48:46 PM

JWard - BTW, I was born in PGH on the Southside.  My grandfather worked at J&L Steel.

My grandfather worked in the power plant on the Oakland side of the river at J&L. I lived in the hilltop neighbourhoods for many years. Spent alot of time on the Southside after I moved to Pittsburgh from the mountains.

Small world.

At any rate, I tweaked your plan in SCARM, and was able to find a way to run 22" curves around the layout as in your original plan. It is a sort of hybrid of the two plans, with the rear crossover moved closer to the end of the layout where hopefully it will be a little easier to reach. I also modified the inner siding to eliminate the 18" radius S curve which can cause problems. These mods were made merely in the interest of making your layout operate more reliably. Hope you find this helpful.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA