News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 truck 80-ton Shay? Oh heck ya! She's done.

Started by 686 Shooter, January 20, 2024, 03:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

686 Shooter

Well other than new decals and the cutting down of the oil tank so it fits over the speaker, she's done. I'm waiting for a new bandsaw blade to cut the tank. Installed a SoundTraxx decoder and speaker. It's a tight fit but I got it in there. And also replaced the axle gears with the NWSL metal gears. it runs like a dream.

It been a long haul to get this beauty ready to go, but seeing and hearing it run has made it all worth it.

Still have one more to do the same with, but it needs some parts for one of the trucks. So it will have to wait for a while. I wish Bachmann still made these beauties, and parts for them.

Ken Huck

Ken Clark

trainman203

Yes, those engines are beauties.  But they have no train set value.  Train sets and associated RTR extra cars are where the money lies with Model trains. Geared engines are fairly limited In their sales appeal only to specialized advanced model railroaders and will only sell so many before the market is saturated. That's probably what happened with the Shay.

I remember when the climax came out and they sat forever at the discount houses until they finally practically gave the last few away to get them out of there.

Ken Huck

QuoteWhere'd it go ?
Ken

I need to clarify.  The previous reply:

QuotePM sent
1 person likes this

I was wondering where the 'PM' went.  Or, was the 'PM' a 'Like'.

Ken

Ken Clark

PM "private message" to 686 shooter, re replacement truck for his SHAY.

686 Shooter

Quote from: Ken Clark on March 17, 2024, 11:00:26 AMPM "private message" to 686 shooter, re replacement truck for his SHAY.

Good morning Ken. I sent you a PM this morning with some very important info in it.