News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First HO layout since I was 13

Started by prebres, January 06, 2008, 09:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prebres

Folks,
Here are some pics of the first layout I've done since I was 13. I'm 39 now. Had a Lionel running under the Christmas tree, but this is the first actual layout. It's 4' x 8' (for now) Two loops, out loop has passing siding. It's DCC. And I know that the Chessie and SF would never run together, but I'm just getting started. Any comments are welcome. I'm very intertested in how to model realistic asphalt streets. Again, thanks for looking!

Terry Toenges

Looks neat. I like your "layout level" pics.
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

Great start.  I agree with Terry.  The eye level shots are a great idea.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

Looks like a great start. Walthers sells a plastic interlocking strret system that seems to look pretty good. OTOH, you couls use Sculptamold (a Paper-Mache product) to make roads, and at $6 for a 3lb bag, you'll probably get more bang for the buck, but it'll be more work than the Walthers roads.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

kevin2083

I use drywall joint compound, sanded then painted black. For stripes I use model airplane striping, 1/16" wide.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Watch black.  Asphalt might best be rendered with oily black.  In addition, what is the era?  Highway markings in 1957 don't match 2007 markings.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

PatMatDec

Ahhh, the roadside inn is a classic. Are there any apartments available? It looks like a great little town. Nice work.
CEO
Nantasket Beach Railroad

SteamGene

It looks like the buildings are not yet attached to the layout.  Let me suggest that you dullcoat them and get rid of the plastic sheen.  I paint all my plastic buildings, even if I use the same color paint - just to get rid of the sheen.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

prebres

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I might try the drywall compound. And now, my buildings are not attached they are just sitting on the surface. I'm out of room on that board now, and the next thing will probably be another 4x8 sheet of osb. Of course that means more track, turnouts, buildings, and scenery. I really like this hobby.
I've had a few hobbies over the years from R/C planes and helicopters. (Honey I crashed my Extra 300 today, gonna go to the hobby shop and spend $500 to get a new plane) Then I did R/C Monster truck racing, and I still fly Cessna 172's and Piper Cherokee's. Who would have thought that flying a full-sized aircraft would be cheaper than the models?
But trains really bring back my childhood!

SteamGene

If you add another 4x8 remember that the first rule of thumb is that no part of the layout that might have track on it be more than 2 feet from the edge.  Take that into account when you position the second sheet.
Chief Brass Hat

prebres

Ok SteamGene, if I understand correctly: I have to have all mt track within 24 inches of an edge?
I assume that this is so I might be able to reach everything right?

ta152h0

My very first layout was a figure 8, Marklin big enough to run two trains an 060 tank loco and a streamline 4-6-4 passenger and i had so much fun crashing the two at the crossing. Both still run.

SteamGene

Yes - to reach.  Remember Murphy's model railroading law:
A derailment or stall will always occur at the most inconvenient place at the most inconvenient time.   :D  Keeping all track within easy reach solves that problem - sometimes. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ta152h0

Absolutely true. I would run my locomotives at the club's track during open running ( no timetables enforced ) and the dumb thing most likely would stall and the most inconvenient place. it was uncanny. It is very helpfull to have a stick.

SteamGene

Have the club buy one of those trash grabbers.  My wife and I share one - kitchen grabber in the house and car grabber in the train barn.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat