News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lighted cars for Christmas

Started by Terry Toenges, February 02, 2024, 01:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I added Christmas lights to my On30 flat car. I used brass nails for stanchions. I still have another flat and a gondola to do. I'll fill this one with small Christmas presents. I was able fit the battery box between the frame and the truss rods.

--------------- --------------
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

That looks sharp, Terry! Are you using a 9V battery or something smaller?
Great looking car. You're giving me ideas and that's dangerous  ;).
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

They are flat round 3 volt batteries.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Tom_C

If you're inclined, you could add wheel wipers to the trucks, or add a lighted car before/after your gondola and feed your power from there... and use a simple zener diode regular to provide 3vdc.  I added this to a LED string in a gondola full of Christmas trees.

The battery works, but if you want to tinker it's not hard to pull power from the track.

Terry Toenges

I thought about track power but then they would be on all time unless I added switches. The switches now are in the battery holders.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The second car. Gondola with Lemax shimmering Christmas trees lit up. The fiber optic strands light up randomly. I'll put some greenery on it to hide the wires.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I remembered why I didn't do track power. The lights are 3 volts and the track is 15 volts. What size resistor would I need?
Feel like a Mogul.

Tom_C

Quote from: Terry Toenges on February 06, 2024, 10:52:30 AMI remembered why I didn't do track power. The lights are 3 volts and the track is 15 volts. What size resistor would I need?

It's hard to tell.  If you just want to use a resistor then I'd start with 10K and go down until you get it right.  I run DCC, and I pull power out of a lighted passenger car.  I used a 3V zener diode to create a voltage regulator.  If you wanted to do that and you're running DCC then you'll want a rectifier too.

If you want a zener I'll send you one, PM your address and I'll stick one in the mail.

Terry Toenges

Thanks. I'm just going tog with battery power. It will be less complicated. I'm only doing three cars.
I have the tree one about finished.I have one with toys that I did today. The one with presents is close to being done.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The present car.

--------------
Lit up.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

That looks great, Terry! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

The toy car.

-------------------------
Feel like a Mogul.