HO RS3 #64211 NYC#8295 DCC Equipped Locomotive

Started by RollingThunderNYC, February 05, 2024, 11:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollingThunderNYC

Hello, this is my first post.
I have a HO RS3 #64211 NYC#8295 DCC Equipped Locomotive (non-sound).
It was running fine then all of a sudden it stopped and I can no longer connect to it to reprogram or anything.
The lights still work as commanded from the throttle but it wont run and I cannot reset it.
Any thoughts how to resurrect?

If not, I'd like to upgrade to a Lok Pilot but I'm not sure which one to get.
I want a drop-in replacement as I'm not into making lots of internal modifications.

jward

Does your locomotive have a plug in decoder with an p in NMRA socket? If so, test your locomotive by removing the decoder and inserting the dummy plug in the socket. If I'm not mistaken there should have been a dummy plug included with the locomotive. This will convert the locomotive back to DC and is a good way to see if the decoder is faulty, or if the problem lies elsewhere. If it's not a decoder related problem, then replacing the decoder with something else will not get you running again.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Quite possibly the address of the locomotive has been changed and you don't know what it is.  That would account for it lighting up but not doing anything else when commanded.  If you're running using a Bachmann EZ command, it doesn't have the capability to read the address on a programming track like more advanced systems do.  You should find someone with a layout that has a DCC system with programming track option and read what the address actually is.  You can then change it to suit yourself, but the EZ command only allows addresses one through nine.

Pc6275

I have this NYC locomotive on my layout as well, mine works and all but I want to upgrade to a digitrax sound decoder which involves removing the dcc board on this particular locomotive. Is it possible to reuse the decoder from this locomotive and install in one of my other non-dcc spectrum reading SD45s