News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC conversion Dept56 loco

Started by pechristenson, February 12, 2024, 02:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechristenson

I have a circa 1998 - 2006 department 56 steam loco, can it be converted to DCC?

Hoping someone can tell me if it's a hopeless case or does it have a chance to make back on the track.

I'm a rookie, so please, take it easy on me 😎

A little history: I had this under the tree in the early 2000s when the guys were young, I now, have a grandchild and looking to step it up a bit with DCC and all that comes with it; steam, sound, lighting, more.

Appreciate your time...

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
What has gone wrong, with my eyes...

Terry Toenges

Just my opinion but you might be better off with a new loco than you can switch shells with. I bought a new PRR Mogul from Trainworld for $109. It is DCC and sound ready meaning it already has a speaker in the tender. You just need the sound module. For what it will cost you to get all the stuff you need to convert your old one like decoder, speaker, etc. it might be worth it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

I agree with Terry. Unfortunately, older engines, like what you have, are not as easy to convert to DCC as it may seem. First, you would have to know whether or not the motor is electrically insulated from the frame in order for the DCC decoder to function. Next, you would have to find space for the decoder and the speaker. In many of the older DC locomotives, the frame (read weight) occupied most, if not all, of the space in the locomotive and many refits required milling of said frame to make enough room. It is possible to install the decoder and speaker in the tender but then you would have to install a wiring harness between the locomotive (for the power pickup, motor and lights) and the tender. BTW, since you mention that the loco is Dept. 56, I've been going with the assumption that it is HO scale. If its N scale, the work will be a lot more difficult due to size issues.

Purchasing a locomotive, such as Terry suggested, and swapping the bodies on the loco and tender might be a much better, and probably cheaper, way to go. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

pechristenson

I have to be in total agreement Terry. My first look for 0n30 engines were a touch more pricey then 110 + sound.That's a great price and the engine is exactly what I'm looking for. It'll fit the look of the original coaches as well. Hey guys thanks for the targeted information...
What has gone wrong, with my eyes...

Terry Toenges

You still have to buy the sound card. My first Mogul that I got some years ago was well over $200.
Feel like a Mogul.