News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 question

Started by Richy_jay_8114, February 16, 2024, 08:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richy_jay_8114

Good day, I have a question regarding an interesting issue I have where my spectrum 2-10-2 only operates in reverse on DC and that is if it starts moving at all. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

trainman203

Test the engine on another layout.  Your power pack could be at fault .  And report back what you find.

Richy_jay_8114

Quote from: trainman203 on February 17, 2024, 06:15:52 PMTest the engine on another layout.  Your power pack could be at fault .  And report back what you find.
I tried it, it seems to be the engine. I tried with three different power packs, 2 dc, and a bachmann dcc controller

trainman203

It's a DCC locomotive then, right?

Richy_jay_8114

Yes but should also be able to run on dc according to bachmann.

the Bach-man

Dear Richy,
It should run on DC.
Contact the service department for answers.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Richy_jay_8114

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 21, 2024, 10:28:56 PMDear Richy,
It should run on DC.
Contact the service department for answers.
Thanks!
the Bach-man
it does, but only in reverse

Terry Toenges

Maybe this will help.
I had a problem when I was switching controllers around only mine would not go in reverse, only forward. It ended up being the power pack.
It happened when I tried to use the E-Z Command power pack with a DC controller for a DC loco.
The problem was that the E-Z Command power pack puts out DC voltage while a DC power pack puts out AC voltage.
This is the whole thread here.
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,38434.15.html
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

Running a DCC locomotive on DC is possible, but really not the best way to operate.  Like going cross country on a tricycle. Or getting off a two story roof by jumping. You can do get it done, but there are far better ways.

There are so many advantages to
DCC operation.  Aside from expense, which is a real issue and I'm not belittling it, I've never understood why people hold onto DC forever but buy DCC locomotives and try to get them to run on a DC layout.  It's literally forcing a square peg into a round hole, it was never really truly meant to be.

if your locomotive is a DCC locomotive, you need to try it out on a DCC layout to see for once and for all if the problem is your DC power source.

Searsport

One reason people buy DCC locomotives when they run DC layouts is manufacturers only issuing a certain loco in DCC or DCC+Sound options, but not in plain DC. Try finding a DC BLI steam loco. I got a pair of supposedly dual mode BLI PRR H10s 2-8-0s, one with the "West" tender and one with the "East" tender, as they are about the shortest 2-8-0 available, due to their short tenders, and they both run in fits and starts on DC, and often not at all. That is why I like it when Bachmann offer a loco in plain DC, DCC-Ready. I just yesterday ordered the ACL Pacific and SAL Mikado which both come DC, DCC-Ready. But even Bachmann have a bad habit of offering a model as DCC ready for some roads and DCC on-board for others, so it is pure chance whether you can get the engine you want in the format you want. I was lucky!
Bill.