News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder

Started by wwilds, February 19, 2024, 10:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwilds

After more than 60 years of wanting to start a model railroad, and along the way hitting various obstacles preventing doing so, I have finally begun. Nothing about it is the same as my old Lionel train set when I was a youngster, and I am on a steep learning curve. For instance, i want to install a turntable on the layout i have designed, and chose the Bachmann 5 1/2" turntable. The message included online with that turntable information is:

"Requires separate power pack/speed controller for operation in DC mode (Item No. 44211 recommended). Requires DCC control system and DCC decoder for operation in DCC mode. Each sold separately."

I dutifully searched online for a DCC Decoder and could only find a sound decoder. Is that what is meant in the Bachmann online message, or is there another sort of DCC decoder of which I am unaware? I cannot understand why I would need a sound decoder for a turntable. I am awaiting delivery of a Bachmann DCC controller, and had thought that would be all I needed to operate DCC features on locos, stock, and parts where eqiuipped.

To further explain, there are no model railroad stores anywhere near where I live that I might have access to somone I could ask about all my getting started questions. I hope to get my new benchwork constructed finished today so I can really get atarted when all the stuff I have ordered online sight-unseen arrives.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

jward

There are non sound decoders that just control motor functions. SOme are hardwired into the locomotive, some plug into a socket on the PC board. Both these non sound decoders and the sound versions are called mobile decoders. DO not confuse these with accessory or stationary decoders. A mobile decode is what you want for the turntable.

I assume by the turntable length you are running N scale. The only instruction sheet I could find on the Bachmann website is for the larger HO scale version, but it may provide some guidance. It looks like the decoder is a plug in version, and if this is also true of your turntable, and mobile decoder with an 8 pin plug will do the job.

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/documents/46298_HODCC-Turntable.pdf
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wwilds

Thank you so much Jeffrey. I appreciate your taking the time to educate me. So far, I am finding that I get as many questions generated as I find answers in my research.

My layout will be 33" by 80" (built on an old door that I expanded with added-on lumber around the edges), and I included one feeder rail in the layout plan (using AnyRail software.) I am reading through the basic DCC wiring booklet written by Mike Polsgrove, and he recommends feeder wiring for every section of track. My layout is basically a point to point plan with four main sidings servicing 7 industries and a service siding for loco layover and switching uses. I don't see why a single feeder track won't be sufficient, and I will be running only one locomotive at a time.

What do you think, if you don't mind my answering.

Mose Price
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

jward

Wiring feeders to every track section seems to be overkill to me. I've never needed to do that. My layout wiring is the old DC block control, with the block switches used to isolate various sections of track. Basically, I can turn tracks on and off at whim. Using this system, I run one set of feeders per block, with no block more than 6 feet in length. I do not have power issues using this system. If your feeders are located in the center of your layout one set should be fine. You can always add more if you need them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wwilds

Thanks for the input. My whole layout is only 35' of track. I suppose I could easily add another feeder rail, but maybe I'll wait to see if I can even get the layout and loco to work in the first place.

Mose
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

wwilds

I have the Bachmann 5.5" turntable in hand and need a decoder. Both the suggested decoders are sold out and/or discontinued. How or where do I go to find an alternative? Bachmann the company is not very helpful in that the recommendations for the product are not available and no information is provided for a work-around.
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

jward

Looking at the instruction sheet I linked to earlier, it appears the decoder uses a standard 8 pin plug. Keep in mind the sheet is for an HO turntable, I couldn't find one for the N scale turntable on Bachmann's site so I assume the interface is the same. If this is true any decoder with an 8 pin plug should work, but it looks like there isn't alot of room for it so I'd keep the  decoder wire harness as short as possible. SInce there don't appear to be appropriate Bachmann decoders for this anymore, here are two to consider. Digitrax DH126PS has a short wiring harness with the 8 pin plug and is an economy decoder, meaning it doesn't have alot of functions that you won't be using anyway. Another option is the Digitrax DH165IP, which while more expensive has the 8 pin plug directly on the decoder. There is no wiring harness so you can just plug the chip itself into the socket on the turntable.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wwilds

Thanks Jeffrey. I am learning a lot very quickly and also learning that I don't know a lot. I will check out the Digitrax decoders you recommend.

Mose
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

wwilds

Hi.

I checked out the Digitrax decoders you suggested, and they are both HO scale and for locomotives. So I am assuming they might work for the turntable as well but am not sure since turntables were not a choice on the drop=down menu.

I searched for N scale 8-pin decoders and on the Train World site the only decoders that popped up were sound decoders. Is that all that I need a decoder for? The Bachmann DCC controller is supposed to control the movement functions, and if there is any sound available that would be an added benefit, but one I don't care if I have or don't. The turntable instructions don't specify what functions the decoder would control, so if you can clarify that, I'll either keep searching for an appropriate add-on or let it go.

Thanks!

Mose
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

jward

DCC is a form of AC. The decoder converts it into something that won't hurt a DC motor such as those in locomotives or your turntable. The decoders I mentioned are for motor control only, and functions such as headlights that can be turned on or off. A sound decoder is a different beast, containing sound files as well as motor control circuitry. It requires a speaker in order to get sound out of it. Sound decoders are NOT what you want here. Your best bet is to measure the enclosure on your turntable to get an idea what will fit. The decoder manufacturers will have the dimensions on their decoders on the web site. Train World will not have this information, so you;re better off googling the manufacturer. BTW, scale doesn't matter much in decoders, other than the size of the board itself. An N or Z scale decoder is perfectly capable pf controlling an HO locomotive, and vice versa. Space available is the primary consideration. I have used Z scale decoders in HO locomotives where space was at a premium.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wwilds

Jeffrey, you are a fountain of knowledge. I hope I'll become knowledgeable and experienced enough to "pay it forward" with some newbie as you have with me. However, at age 82 I don't know if I'll have enough time left to gain all that knowledge. Thanks for all your help and your willingness to share.

Mose
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME

wwilds

Hello Jeffrey.

I am pleased to report that my layout is operational, at least in regard to the locomotive. When the decoder is delivered, I will program it to get the turntable going. I still have not programmed the turnouts, but that is my next task. So far, the DCC controller has functioned as advertised.

Mose
Mose Price
Harpswell, ME