HOW TO REPLACE COUPLERS ON HO O SERIES GG1 ENGINE

Started by PPRGG11980, March 06, 2024, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PPRGG11980

I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I JUST UNCOVERED IN MY DADS ATTIC A CONTAINER OF 9 GG1 HO  O SERIES ENGINES THAT HAVE BEEN WRAPED UP. THESE ENGINES DATE BACK TO THE 1980'S NEVER HAVE BEEN USED. THE STRANGE THING IS THERE ALL MISSING FRONT AND BACK COUPLERS WHY MY FATHER REMOVED THEM I DON'T KNOWN.IS THERE A VIDEO ON THE  NET THAT SHOWS IN DETAIL ON HOW TO REINSTALL THEM AND WHAT TYPE WOULD I NEED FOR THESE ENGINES.THEY ALL HAVE THE PPR LOGOS ON THEM AND VARIOUS COLOR SCHEMES. MY UNCLE WORKED FOR THE PPR FOR 35 YEARS ALL THRU THE 1940;S 502'S 60'S AS A MASTER BOILER WELDER AND USE TO TAKE ME DOWN TO THE YARDS AND RIDE THE GG1 AS A KID. OR IS THERE A DETAIL DRAWING ON HOW TO DO THIS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Len

You describe these as "GG1 HO O series" locomotives, which is a bit confusing. Are they HO or O scale? Is there a manuracturer mark on the bottom, e.g., AHM, Rivarossi, Lionel, etc.?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

PPRGG11980

LEN  BASED ON WHAT I WAS TOLD BY NICHOLAS SMITH TRAINS I HAVE O GAUGE GG1 ENGINES. MY OTHER QUESTION IS SINCH THESE ENGINES HAVE NEVER BEEN RUN WOULD THEY HAVE TO BE LUBE AFTER SITTING ALL THIS TIME. APPOX. 20 YEARS?

Len

Yes, if they've been sitting 20+ years you should clean all the old grease out and relube with fresh grease on the gears and light oil on the axle bearings.

As for the couplers, it would help to know what the road numbers on the locos are to determine if they are 'post war' or 'modern' production. It makes a difference.

Len

PPRGG11980

LEN DON'T KNOWIF YOU RECEIVED THIS  FOLLOW UP  THE NUMBERS ON MY GG1 ARE AS FOLLOWS
4824-4880=4828-4899-4907 ALL ARE PPR ENGINES

Len

Yes, I got it and sent a response. While Lionel and K-Line did a couple of those numbers, With those number blocks they are more likely either original Williams or MTH locos. The couplers are completely different on the two. If they're Williams, there will be a single E-Unit PC board and speaker inside. If MTH there will be two PC boards stacked one above the other.

Len