Bachmann 60212 "HO"FT - B UNIT LOCOMOTIVES- DCC Equipped

Started by 4311wade, March 14, 2024, 08:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4311wade

Team,
I bought two new in the box Bachmann 60212 locos from an auction site I frequent and after opening them up they will not run on any short address setting.
All the quick settings are the same as my other Bachmann locos that run correctly.Has anyone ever heard of similar issues with these model numbers? My layout is DCC
Thanks
Stephen

trainman203

I'll bet That that those units are professionally re-shrink-wrapped dogs that have been run into the ground.

Len

Have you tried a 'factory reset' to get them back to address 3?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

Will not run on any short address? You've tried all 127 of them?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

4311wade

Thank you all for the advice!
I will try factory reset this evening.
And no, I didn't know it stopped at 127.
Stephen

trainman203

The 127 limit is a holdover from the earliest days of DCC back in the Digital Jurassic Of low chip capacity in every dimension. It's so embedded in everything, though, it can't be gotten rid of.

jward

Quote from: trainman203 on March 16, 2024, 10:08:49 AMThe 127 limit is a holdover from the earliest days of DCC back in the Digital Jurassic Of low chip capacity in every dimension. It's so embedded in everything, though, it can't be gotten rid of.

DCC is digital, which is based on the binary system at its root. In Binary, things are either on or off, a ) or a 1 value. Strings of binary digits, each one controlling something, is the basis of DCC, and computers in general. Everything in the protocol is based on mathematical powers of two. Alot of it is hexadecimal which is binary on steroids. This is why you have short addresses up to 127 (128 it 2 to the 7th power) and many CV values up to 255 (2 to the 8th power or 16 squared.) Understanding this makes understanding the rest of DCC much simpler. CV29 in particular, controls various features by turning on or off bits.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

4311wade

Team,
The reset and reprogramming got one of the b-unit twins running great. the second one says "programmer error: No acknowledge from locomotive (308)" Does anyone know what error (308) is?
Thanks,
Stephen

bapguy

It usually means dirty track , wheels or both. Could also be a bad connection to the decoder.

trainman203

Jeffrey I don't understand any of that stuff. That's why we have you here.

😂😂😂