N Scale SC-44 Charger Front Headlight Stays On?

Started by nscalesoundfan, March 15, 2024, 03:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nscalesoundfan

Just purchased my 1st N scale Charger but noticed the front headlight stays on full time and can't seem to be turned off by F0 and doesn't go out when the loco is in reverse (the front headlight and front red markers will both be on). It also appears it can't be dimmed. Videos online seem to indicate this is not normal. Also, the headlight will also stay lit for a couple minutes after the loco is removed from the track. Do I have a faulty loco?

Yard Master

Hi nscalesoundfan,

The headlight staying on after the locomotive is removed from the track is normal, because of the Keep Alive device installed. Since it is designed to keep the engine moving even if power is interrupted due to dirty track and other conditions, the headlight will stay on until the electric charge stored in the Keep Alive is spent.

As for the headlight staying on, are you having any other issues such as other lights not turning on or off, sound not functioning, etc.? Also, have you tried configuring in Light Mode?

nscalesoundfan

Hi, Yard Master-

All other lights seem to operate normally including the rear headlight, which can be dimmed and will go off with forward direction or by hitting F0.

While I'm still getting used to doing the F8 mode toggling, I believe that I have tried all available options for light settings.

I have not noticed any sound issues.

Yard Master

Hi nscalesoundfan,

Please contact our service department and they can help you with troubleshooting, and repair or replace your Charger if necessary. Thanks!