News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 45-Ton Repair

Started by CNE Runner, March 16, 2024, 10:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

One of my trusty GE 45T locomotives ceased to run and I decided to send it to an [unnamed] vendor for repair. A bit of history: this locomotive has already had its decoder replaced as well as a "Keep Alive" unit installed. After 4 months waiting, I finally received the repaired locomotive back (there were several email requests for its repair status sent over the waiting period). Yesterday I finally received the locomotive via USPS. Upon opening the box I discovered: 1) all the cab windows were 'crazed' and nearly opaque, and 2) BOTH exhaust stacks were broken off (with one lying in the box). Understand that I shipped this locomotive in its original packaging and inserted the packaging in another box - securely wrapped in bubble wrap (the vendor returned the unit similarly packaged).

In deference to this Forum's rules I cannot mention the vendor...but it is one of the well-known ones. What is happening to our hobby? I can understand a GE 45T can be difficult to work on (well, not really); but to inflict the damage that was done on my unit? My message to you is to be wary; as apparently craftsmanship can be hard to come by in the model railroad repair industry.

Mr. Bachmann, why isn't this wonderful locomotive (GE 45T) still being produced? There used to be small switching locomotives produced by Walthers, BLI, and Bachmann...now there are none (not excepting the GE 44T that is a bit larger than the GE 45T). I guess the demand just wasn't there (on Ebay a new Bachmann GE 45T will set you back ~ $350+.) These are excellent running machines that only require the addition of a "Keep Alive" unit.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to 'vent'.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Ralph S

I like your venting.  I, being only occasionally reading this forum, found that your questioning on small switching locomotives interesting.   I have asked that same question in a prior forum discussion, and of course received an answer that a 44 tonner would ship sometime this year. (See "GE 44 tonner by Bapguy 11/23/23")   
Hopefully this locomotive is still on the books and I'm hoping they use the BNSF or Norfolk Southern names/logo.

My old one (still works, image in Bapguy topic) in DC and have visions of converting it to DCC unless Bachmann produces what has been told to wait for. 

CNE Runner

I thought I would write an update to my GE 45T problems. Being frustrated by aftermarket 'repair' places and the sloppy work they seem to do; I decided to take the locomotive apart and try to see what the problem was. Cutting to the chase: One of the power leads (black) had become disconnected from it fastening point (as we say in Alabama; "It done broke"). I soldered the offending wire back where it belonged and put some tape over the end (did the same on the other wire (the red one). Tested the loco and it worked well. After reattaching the body (a 'fun job' especially those coupler pockets), I again tested the unit and [dang] it had a short!! OK, off came the body AGAIN. I lined the sides of the [metal] body with electrical tape, secured the TCS decoder and "Keep Alive", routed the new LED lights and tried again. Success!! OK, some 'take-aways' from this process: Make doubly sure NO wires can touch anything metal, secure any loose wires as they will work loose in time (I used a 'dab' of liquid tape) and very carefully reinstall the body. I hope this helps anyone else.

RAy
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"