News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

When to add more power

Started by jdeilus, March 20, 2024, 11:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdeilus

As stated in an earlier post I asked about adding more power.  So what I'm really looking for is with a EZ command controller Plus, how much track and how many turn outs can I use?  I believe the EZ command provided only one amp.  I have a 6X10 set up with four turn outs, two Double Cross Overs, outer main loop and an inner loop with a rail yard.    It doesn't seem the cross overs are getting enough power.  They are in the rear farthest away from the terminal track.  one switches and the other seem to only switch halfway. seems like it's starving for more power.
The EZ command power five amp booster is very expensive and I'm considering switching to the Digitrax Zephyr DCC Controller.  It has 3 amps and allows for a jumper controller that my grandson can use.  The EZ command Controller Plus did away with that option.  Is the Zephyr a good choice? I know this is a Bachmann site, but I'm sure people use other devices other than Bachmann.

Terry Toenges

Whatever system you decide to use, adding more feeders is always a good idea for what you are planning.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ralph S

You have the new Command Plus controller (Model 44933) unfortunately that newer model the manufacturer removed the ability to have an additional DC controller for other functions.  I have the older models  (model 44901).

In my case, what I have done was to separate my track power from my accessory power, i.e. track switches, track lighting, track signals, etc.  What this does is to allow maximum power to reach the locomotives via the EZ Command Controller, thereby this controller will not see any degradation from switching operations.  If you have a model train transformer (any model will work) it can provide the DC or AC power that is needed for track switches .  Bachmann still produces the  DC power pack controller (model 44212) which can provide power to the switches and other accessories on your layout.

As for your specific question,  how much track and how many turn outs can you use?  It depends.  If you are using the track for power to your switches, and running a train or two the farther the away the switches are from the power source the track resistance (track connections) will increase enough to cause intermittent operation of said switches. If your switches are DCC then power feeders would definitely improve switching of distance switches.  As mentioned it is an expected condition to use power feeders (not use the track for switch power) when switches are at a good distance from the power source.  The EZ command 5-amp booster (44910) is for intermediate users where more than 3 locomotives are simultaneously being run.

It is my belief that one of Bachmanns biggest errors was to discontinue its walkaround controller.  Maybe if more modelers like yourself inform Bachmann of this disconnect, that maybe they'll bring it back. 

Lastly, if your desire is to be a professional modeler then moving to other controllers would be in order.  I'm an intermediate modeler, that is, not quite the professional or club oriented type, but much more than the entry level or beginner modeler.  Bachmann controllers are in that beginning and intermediate level.  Just know that Bachmann does have a more advanced controller, called Dynamis. 

Hope this answers your questions.

For additional controller information click on these topic queries:
E-Z Command Plus I/O Port
Started by RedMt Dave, January 12, 2024, 03:09:02 PM

---
Running a DC train with the EZ Command plus
Started by jdeilus, January 21, 2024, 07:16:28 PM

---
Ez comand plus as a companion
Started by Emt117, December 29, 2023, 11:41:22 AM