News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler Issue

Started by Dave1227, March 22, 2024, 12:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave1227

First off thanks for letting me join the forum.
My problem is that none of my cars will stay coupled together.
I just purchased The Yard Boss the other day at Hobby Lobby. It is my first "N" scale set.
I have tried everything that I know to try having had an "HO" train many years ago and have passed it on to my grandkids.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

trainman203

The trouble with Hobby lobby instead of an actual local hobby shop is that they will be no help to you on any kind of issue that might arise. All they do is sell you stuff.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that all the couplers are the right height. N scale being as tiny as it is, a molecular difference between couplers will cause failure. 

You'll need a coupler height measuring gauge that  is compatible with Bachmann couplers.  I'm afraid I won't be much help with that, but I'm sure someone else on the forum can step up to the plate and offer direction.

You ought to have one of these no matter what:

https://midwestmodelrr.com/nmr8/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8eDh4MGIhQMV-Ut_. _D_BwE

A little editorial from me -  many people enjoy N scale but at my age I just don't want to deal with anything so small and demanding.  The smallest speck of dust on the track will make your train stall, and as you are already finding out, dimensional tolerances are very exacting.  If you are into any kind of operations involving switching, you'll find out that coupling up prototypically is impossible, the little cars are just too light to offer any resistance needed for couplers to function when coupling up.

The above is only opinion, of course. I re-entered Model railroading at a late date just like you have and had to make the decision between N and HO.  I chose HO and I've never regretted it.

Len

You should also get yourself a Micro-Trains #1055 coupler height gauge. It will let you be sure all of your couplers are at the same height, and the trip pins will ot snag on anything.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Dave1227

Quote from: trainman203 on March 22, 2024, 02:44:20 PMThe trouble with Hobby lobby instead of an actual local hobby shop is that they will be no help to you on any kind of issue that might arise. All they do is sell you stuff.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that all the couplers are the right height. N scale being as tiny as it is, a molecular difference between couplers will cause failure. 

You'll need a coupler height measuring gauge that  is compatible with Bachmann couplers.  I'm afraid I won't be much help with that, but I'm sure someone else on the forum can step up to the plate and offer direction.

You ought to have one of these no matter what:

https://midwestmodelrr.com/nmr8/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8eDh4MGIhQMV-Ut_. _D_BwE

A little editorial from me -  many people enjoy N scale but at my age I just don't want to deal with anything so small and demanding.  The smallest speck of dust on the track will make your train stall, and as you are already finding out, dimensional tolerances are very exacting.  If you are into any kind of operations involving switching, you'll find out that coupling up prototypically is impossible, the little cars are just too light to offer any resistance needed for couplers to function when coupling up.

The above is only opinion, of course. I re-entered Model railroading at a late date just like you have and had to make the decision between N and HO.  I chose HO and I've never regretted it.

Unfortunately Hobby Lobby is the only place we have in my area that deals in trains and their selection is not good at all.
I will check into this, I appreciate the advise.

trainman203

Len, will that micro trains coupler height gauge work on Bachmann couplers? I saw that item you suggested but I believe it is for a different coupler.

trainman203

I know that there are model railroad stores with knowledgeable staff available for questions from remote hobbyists, I just can't think of them right at the moment. 

Len

Quote from: trainman203 on March 22, 2024, 09:34:23 PMLen, will that micro trains coupler height gauge work on Bachmann couplers? I saw that item you suggested but I believe it is for a different coupler.

Knuckle couplers are supposed to be designed to work with equipment from other manufacturers using similar couplers. So the Micro-Trains gauge will work fine for determining proper coupler height and trip pin clearance.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Fred Klein

I used to model in N scale and used Micro Trains and Bachmann couplers interchangeably. Never had a compatibility problem. As with any product, sometimes you get a balky coupler in either brand and you have to change it out. The Micro Trains coupler height gauge worked on both brands. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

trainman203

I did not know all of that. Thanks.

Dave1227

Quote from: Len on March 22, 2024, 06:25:41 PMYou should also get yourself a Micro-Trains #1055 coupler height gauge. It will let you be sure all of your couplers are at the same height, and the trip pins will not snag on anything.

Got both tool on order just awaiting their arrival on track ?
While I'm waiting what coupler do you or anybody out there suggest I purchase to replace the stock one's that came on all of the cars including the engine and coal car.

Fred Klein

Dave, unfortunately, the answer to your question as which coupler is: It Depends. Different cars, even from the same manufacturer, can take different couplers, so it depends on which cars you have and who made them. Fortunately, Micro-Trains has a coupler conversion guide on their website that attempts to list which coupler model fits what. Note that I said "attempts" because there is always an exception to the rule. I would look at this guide first, before you buy anything, to give you an idea of what is available. Couplers are usually available in short, medium or long shanks, with overset, underset or centerset heads, as well as some more unusual styles for specialty situations. Looking at the guide should at least give you an idea as to what is applicable for your situation. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Dave1227

Thanks I will look into it.