News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout controls

Started by Penn1974, March 22, 2024, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn1974

I am making a new control board for my layout. I would like to change the EZ track turnout controls to some type of a toggle switch for each turnout in HO scale. Layout is DC.

Len

If you use toggle switches, be sure they are the spring loaed 'Momentary ON' type. You'll burn out your switch motors if you use regular toggles switches that leave power connected. Something like these should work fine:
https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Toggle-switch-MTS-123-Momentary/dp/B01J62WEH4/ref=sr_1_6?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kdM6h9AihpZ8CzICgK4uheFrW4trwp1oeK01xtO3Pfwg_4gp70FxwM9_tdYbA4vNuHwAqoCs1eIhC0bYbBlSxNyjniVltsj9P58lz6MQ_mweD323X1Ut7WeHLMilFI1aEn9r8EYBVOw3Rn7XQz71Yy8oY57Jx1BrSUwhrhyuSHv22Foc22HEu_KyokTn1L8yY8x_v_oZoUZe-1ibbc4mK4U57EjthBReu6idU9SK5e8.Z3TZ5KmJm3qNwFmGJKFjDNJtNJjINvCZfDMB83MS03s&dib_tag=se&keywords=momentary+spdt+toggle+switch&qid=1711146467&sr=8-6

One side of your power source connects directly to the switches, the other to the center contact of the toggle switch.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

Len thank you for your info. I have been away so am now catching up on things. I assume that the center green wire that connects to the switches is the other half of the power feed. Correct?

Len

If you're using the 3-conductor green wire that came with the switches, the outside wires connect to the outside terminals on the toggle switch. The center wire goes to the 'common' of your power supply. You'll need an additional wire to connect from the other power supply terminal to the center contact of the toggle switch.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.