News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Whitcomb 50T for HO?

Started by CNE Runner, March 28, 2024, 10:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I have used (and loved) my small fleet of Bachmann GE 45t switchers for years. Being retired, I find I run my trains almost every day - and this can [eventually] take its toll on these little locomotives. Alas, one of the fleet has ceased to operate; whilst another runs with a bit of noise. Procuring a new GE 45t is beyond my model railroad budget as prices have soared on those units still in inventory (a $100 loco is now selling for ~ $389). My assumption is that Bachmann has no plans offer the GE 45t anytime soon (which is sad for those of us with small or mini layouts). Today I came across the (new?) Bachmann Whitcomb 50t locomotive...it was love at first sight! Unfortunately this model was not equipped with those wonderful side rods...but what a great model it is. OK, Mr. Bachmann: Are there any plans on offering the Whitcomb 50t in HO? I really think there is a market for such a locomotive 'out there'. Since I am asking: Are there any plans on re-introducing the GE 45t (perhaps with sound and a "current keeper")??? [Are we ever satisfied?]

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

the Bach-man

Dear Ray,
I'll pass along your requests!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

Well guys, it always pays to do some research BEFORE making a statement. Mr. Bachmann, thank you for your reply; but I think I'm going to let you 'off the hook' on this one. This morning I did some research on the Whitcomb 50 Ton locomotive and, lo, it was only produced in narrow gauge (specifically 3' 3 3/8"). Therefore a standard gauge Whitcomb 50 Ton model would be un-prototypical. [Reference source - Eakin James S., Big Critters, Railhead Productions (2003).]

HOWEVER the Whitcomb 44 Ton locomotive was standard gauge (and 'sported' those wonderful Caterpillar D17000 engines). Of course since the Whitcomb 44 Ton and the GE 45 Ton locomotives were almost identical - just bringing back [an upgraded: Current Keeper + Tsunami equipped] GE 45 Tonner makes more sense...hint, hint.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"