Well fellow N scale modelers, Bachmann is now the leader of the pack when it com

Started by robderebel, January 07, 2008, 01:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robderebel

to making good running reasonably priced steam.   

The new 482 has received great reviews from those whom purchased them.   Support Bachmann and show them
we are serious about steam in N scale.

Rob

GlennW

I'd disagree a little bit.

The Athearn/MDC steamers are very nice. Athearn has done a good job in upgrading the paint & couplers. On the MDC passenger cars, they added greem tinted windows & truck mounted couplers.

The Athearn Challenger hsas some premium features with DCC. I'd like to see them follow with a FEF Northern.

It appears Bachmann has 3 winners, the 2-8-0, the J class Northern & the new Mountain. It would be nice to have an upgraded Light Mountain.
What Bachmann may have is a good diecast shell & mechanism that can be insulated for DCC control.

brokemoto

..............so maybe Bachmann has figured out a way to do the ten wheeler and decapod.....................................................

robderebel

Hello Glen,
   The window was reasonably priced not high end steam. So I don't agree with you,  Granted the Athearn is doing well with their issues,  The Challenger isn't what I call  medium price.  Its feature rich, and unless they come out with ones that are basic locos without all the bells and whistles than we have no bases of comparison (at least as far as Athearn is concerned).  the 260 and 280 are too simplified to count in the equation.   The only other manuf that right now has med steam is Concor, and its 2-10--2  is 3 feet too long and way overpriced, agree on that?

Rob

Williamson

Quote from: robderebel on January 07, 2008, 01:31:12 AM
to making good running reasonably priced steam.   

The new 482 has received great reviews from those whom purchased them.   Support Bachmann and show them
we are serious about steam in N scale.

Rob

I'd support them - the new USRA 4-8-2 Heavy sounds great but ... it has the wrong tender (it should have a USRA 10,000 gallon tender).

I'm probably the only guy that cares about this, but at $250 list it should at least have a "close to correct" tender (I think Bmann already has a 12,000 gallon USRA tender that is pretty close).

N&W bumped the as built tenders in the early 20s for a N&W designed 16,000 gallon tender with 6 wheel trucks - I'm looking at the possibility of kitbashing one of those from the Bmann steam era auxillary tender (a reverse kitbash as N&W made them from old 16,000 gallon tenders!).

I know Bachmann is trying and I really appreciate it!

ghiii

I have to agree that the Spectrum line is 2nd to none. I have seveal 2-8-0s and 4-8-2's and the detailing is superior to the MPs and KATOs. Now all I need are a few 4-6-0s.

George

asarge

Now that Bachmann has gotten the C&O details on 2 loco's, I wonder if there's a chance they might go for a third with a K2 or K3 Heavy Mike or a 4-6-2 Pacific. I love the flying pumps!

David Leonard

Once I pay off my N scale diesel debt, I'll probably pick up an IC 4-8-2. I appreciate the reports from folks who already have them in hand! Like many roads, the IC made modifications (to the sand dome, the handrail arrangement and the tender e.g.) but the Bachmann model is a solid starting point should I want to alter the appearance in a similar way.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-s2517s.jpg
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ic/ic-s2307.jpg

daniel_leavitt2000

I love my J. I end up running it with a bunch of Amfleets because there are no heavyweights that match the NS excursion train!

The last few Bachmann Steamers have been wonderfull. I hope they re-run the light Mtn and 2-6-6-2 with the needed upgrades. I belive the light Mtn just needed a resized bearing block... the 2-6-6-2, not so lucky.

And those decapods, and the 4-6-0.... man oh man I'm turning into a steamhead

taz-of-boyds

Daniel,
I saw your post of your diesel work, ... welcome to the dark... ah steam side!!
Charles