Can I add sound to a DCC on board engine

Started by rcstill145@yahoo.com, May 20, 2024, 12:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcstill145@yahoo.com

How hard is it to add sound to a DCC ON BOARD ENGINE
AND CHANGE SOME OF THE SETTINGS

trainman203

trainman203

Getting professional installation of DCC is one of the best ways you can spend your money, in my thinking.  Unless you really, really like playing with electronics and extreme micro soldering.  Some folks do, more power to them.  But we have gotten people on here before whose first question is how to make the train go and the next question is how do I install DCC.  I've spent a fair amount of money having a pro install DCC/sound in well over 25 engines, but then, he is a friend and gives me good rates.  Because of that, I've never burned out a decoder or put my soldering iron through a plastic engine shell.

jward

WHile I agree with Trainman to about having sound professionally installed, or better yet factory installed, i need to ask who leaves a plastic shell laying around near a hot soldering iron? That defies common sense. I have no problems installing DCC in a locomotive. Most are now plug n play anyway, and adding DCC is as simple as plugging in a decoder. DCC with SOUND is a whole other level of complexity. That's a distinction that needs to be made in any discussion about DCC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainman203

Putting the iron through a plastic shell was basically a joke.

But. Fill me in.  I've not been very aware of availability of separate DCC only Decoders without sound, and a separate sound only decoder. If that's the case, can one piggyback a sound only decoder onto an existing Silent DCC Decoder.  Please elaborate on this for my enlightenment.

rcstill145@yahoo.com

Mine is a DCC ON BOARD factory installed. Bu I want to add sound.  I have been able to change some functions but I would love to have sound. CAN IT BE DONE?  We do not have  anyone here. The man who did our. Work passed and some can do a little

jward

Quote from: trainman203 on May 24, 2024, 09:52:57 AMPutting the iron through a plastic shell was basically a joke.

But. Fill me in.  I've not been very aware of availability of separate DCC only Decoders without sound, and a separate sound only decoder. If that's the case, can one piggyback a sound only decoder onto an existing Silent DCC Decoder.  Please elaborate on this for my enlightenment.

WHile I was specifically referring to the added complexity of adding a speaker and the associated hassle of finding a location, which may require a complete disassembly of the locomotive and milling of the chassis in some cases, yes there are separate add on "decoders" which can add sound to a non sound decoder. Digitrax calls them Sound Bugs, and they can be added to any decoder that is set up to accommodate them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

It might be helpful if you said what loco you have in mind. Perhaps someone here has already done it. It is a diesel or steam?
Feel like a Mogul.