Main Menu

Nostalgia

Started by jesse, February 19, 2007, 10:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddellacca

Stewart,

I get the same results as Jim does even going directly to the URL (NOT
thru this forum).
Looks the same either way; that is, block coloring.

Dick

Seasaltchap

If anyone wants better quality shots, I will send direct to your e-mail for you.

I am:  seasaltchap@hotmail.com

Stewart
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

gardenrail

Hello 'Seasaltchap'

Surprised that you haven't mentioned the wonderful GWR slip coach system. I reckon that with DCC there is a good chance of this being modelled. There's a challenge for you. :D

Seasaltchap

gardenrail: To get into the GWR Slip Coaches is a whole new ball of wax., however taking DCC to it I think is overkill as a solution, when it is about uncoupling.

Jim: I am not able to get back to my lineside picture of the TPO Apparatus, but I have sent some links to Jim he may wish to publish.

The last run of the UK TPO was 1/19/2004, and not 2001. The original service between Liverpool & Birmingham started 1838, where the UK 'Penny Post" of 1840 greatly expanded mail services by rail in the UK.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Seasaltchap

Jim : There was also lineside and loco apparatus for collecting and depositing Tokens required to work single lines.

What is the experience in the US?

Jim Banner

I think I'll let someone who lives in the US answer that.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bodie Bailey

There are still a few places that get mail and packages from the train. While I was on the Skunk train in Northern California they dropped off stuff at some of the remote houses along that line. This is now only a tourist line and the houses are very remote. I was surprised that they did this.

Bodie Bailey
Bodie Bailey
"If you can't find it make it"

Seasaltchap

Anyone interested in a Hornby Travelling Post Office, one has just come up on eBay. It comes complete with mailbags, but you need to check for the lineside equipment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230100783237

ebtnut

Re:  Dropping off the mail--the bags were usually just kicked out the door of the RPO while the train was rolling.  The bags were usually strapped shut, and sometimes padlocked, so the mail wouldn't be flying all over. 

nhmanhere59

As a boy in New Jersey,I remember the mail sacks actually being tossed out by hand onto the station platform. It was at the same hour everyday,so any personel sweeping the platform knew enough not to be there at that hour.