News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help on standards

Started by Chesticus, January 07, 2008, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesticus

Well this board helped on my last problem. I am dexigning a model RR. I am trying to find the proper/standard distance between track centers on a curve. You would think that would be easy to find, but I can't find it.

Help

Chesticus

WoundedBear

http://www.nmra.com/

Everything you need to know, all in one handy website.

Sid

Chesticus

I went there and I do not see anything relating to how far apart the centerline of tracks on a curve should be.

Chesticus

JerryB

Look here for center to center distances on various curves:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/s-8.html

and here for clearances on tangent track:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/s-7.html

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Woody Elmore

You could use an NMRA standards gauge. You can get one from Micromark or join the NMRA.

SteamGene

Woody,
I don't think they send a new member a Standards Gauge any longer.  I joined for the first time last year and didn't get one.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

JerryB

The NMRA hasn't provided new members with a 'free' gauge for quite a few years.

There is a significant price difference between sources for the gauges. For an H0 gauge:

NMRA Member price: $5.00
NMRA Non-member price: $12.00
Micro-Mark: $18.50

Other sizes / scales have similar prices.

I think these gauges are a required tool for model RRing. I even have one for 1:20.3 scale / 45mm gauge.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chesticus

Thank you for all of the links you guys. I must have been pretty tired because I could not understand them at first. I was really frustrated. But I got it now. Thank you.

Chesticus

Jim Banner

A couple of things to keep in mind:
- The NMRA wheel and track gauge gives clearance for tangent (straight) track only.  Because of overhang, you will need more width on curves to prevent trains from sideswiping.
- If the tracks are at different levels, you will need more horizontal space between them to allow for scenery.  An extra half inch for every inch of vertical separation is a good compromise between prototypical correctness and the realities of never having as much space as we would like to have.  The exception would be in cities where vertical retaining walls may be built at great expense because land values are so high.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ddellacca

Jim,

I would never argue with you...., too much respect...
but NMRA RP S-8 does give the recommendations for
curvature separation, unless I'm mistaken.

Dick

Woody Elmore

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that the NMRA supplies free gauges.

I can't see how anyone could do a layout without an NMRA gauge. I can't list all the times I've had new trucks with out of gauge wheels or switches that weren't in gauge.

Unfortunately, we are in the era of RTR right out of the box and people assume that everything they buy is perfect.

SteamGene

I knew that NMRA USED to supply a "free" gauge with each new membership.   I just assumed you thought it still did.  If it did, I'd have three now.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Dick, I agree with you 100%.  I mentioned the standards gauge only because Woody recommended it without mentioning that the clearance it gives is only for straight track.  S-8 is the way to go for curved tracks but it applies only if the tracks are in the same  horizontal plane.  I find that using the separation recommended by S-8 and adding 1/2" horizontally for each 1" of vertical separation allows room for scenery.  I guess I caused confusion by forgetting to mention that the "more than" referred to the S-8 separation.  Incidentally, this adding 1/2" horizontally for every inch of vertical separation works in all scales.  For example, if I had a 48" radius curved track in 1:29 G-scale and wanted a parallel track, I would use 55" radius track if both tracks were on the same level.  But if one were a foot higher than the other, I would add at least 6 more inches to the radius of the outside curve, giving 61" radius. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ddellacca

Jim,

Just the way I took the NMRA information, also.
Good explanation.

Dick

Loco Bill Canelos

Some one above mentioned a guage for 1:20.3, but I could not find the info on the NMRA pages above.   Anyone know the source for 1:20.3, 1:22.5 & 1:29 .

Thanks
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!