News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thought I'd post a photo.

Started by rogertra, February 01, 2008, 12:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

One of my "un-Russianed" 2-10-0s seen here being coaled at Berger yard in Atwater.

SteamGene

No coaling tower, Roger?  Or is the line at the tower too long?  Atwater doesn't look like a jerkwater town. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on February 01, 2008, 08:27:01 AM
No coaling tower, Roger?  Or is the line at the tower too long?  Atwater doesn't look like a jerkwater town. 
Gene

No coaling towner Gene.

Atwater has an 0-6-0 switcher what works 2 x 8 hour tricks.  Trains into Atwater and Berger yard are: -

Daily passenger, usually a "Motor" (GER for 'doodlebug') but sometimes a steamer, baggage car and coach.

Granville - Berger - Granville way freight.

Berger - D&H/CV - Berger freight.

Montreal - Berger - Montreal freight.

Atwater Switcher - The yard engine's trip up and down the (unmodelled) Atwater industrial spur.  Not officially a "train" as there's no markers on the the van and the whole line is within yard limits.  The Atwater Industrial Spur is the (unmodelled) continuation of the wye's tail track.  At the beginning of the "day" the switcher starts tender first on the east leg of the wye with four to six cars and a van "returning" from the spur that it's switched in the early morning hours.  Last move of the op's session is the 0-6-0 switcher heading into the east leg of the wye with the "Atwater Switcher"

Historically, Berger Yard used to make an end on connection with the Rutland and interchanged once or twice per day.  That explains the orientation of the yard with traffic from the D&H and CV having to reverse direction. 

All this is to explain why no coaling tower in Berger Yard,  just not enough traffic so a steam crane is more economical as it both coals steam locos and empties the ash pits. 

Tyke

Rogertra:

Does this tie in with the turntable that you were working on earlier?

Tyke

WoundedBear

I like the coaling method....great scene!

Sid

RAM

A lot of railroads didn't have coaling towers.  However they use Gons. insteated of hoppers for coal deliveries. Coaling towers just made the job faster.

rogertra

RAM.

Yes, you are correct, it should be a gon and usually is.  I think the hopper was just handy for the photo.  Coal for Berger Yard usually arrives in an o.c.s GER gon.  The theory is that the gon is reloaded from the Adirondack stock pile especially for Berger Yard.  There's even two waybills for gondolas.  One side of the waybill is "Coal for Berger Yard", the other side is "Ash from Berger Yard".

Tyke.

No, the turntable is at Granville Junction.  Berger Yard uses a wye to turn engines.

SteamGene

ram,
I'd think that if the coal is going to a coaling tower than a hopper would be used.  It's obvious if it's going to be shoveled out of a car than a gon is a more sensible deliverer.
I agree - nice scene.

Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Roger, are you going to update your website's pics any time soon? I note that this photo, like other pics you've shown us recently, is on photobucket.

Anyway,
Nice Pic!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

rogertra

Paul M

I'm slowly working on taking new photos for the site.  Plan to spend three or four hours in there tonight taking new photos.

RAM

Gene you are correct, but in this case there is no coaling tower.

SteamGene

Roger,
Just to pick a nit, as full as that hopper is, I'd think there'd be coal spilled on the ground from the shovel going in.   8)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on February 02, 2008, 06:40:41 PM
Roger,
Just to pick a nit, as full as that hopper is, I'd think there'd be coal spilled on the ground from the shovel going in.   8)
Gene

Picky, Picky, Picky.

Of course, you're correct Gene and it will be fixed. Besides, as I wrote below it really should be a GER gondola.  I'm working on removable gondola coal loads tonight.  One will be a partially mty just for photos.

I'd post a new pic now but my main 'puter is in the shop as I can't install Net,Framework 2 or 3 and without them, I can't download newer game updates and mucking around with the registry is beyond me.

TonyD

Saw your album, very nice. You're doing a great job. Here's a true story, took place where this model railway is set. St Jean,PQ - 1973?74? I talked my cousin into stopping at the museum piece of a station. A pleasant, rather young compare to the norm- station agent, with long sideburns and handle bar mustache, was working in the bay window, he came out to check on us, then started talking shop, but had to keep running inside, to answer the telegragh signals, there was a couple telephones in there, on the desk etc, but the orders and such were in dots and dashes clicking on a loudspeaker. I had my Practika around my neck, he said "get ready, something's coming from sherbrooke in a minute"....a big bright single headlight in the distance, a hot shimmering day...took a shot anyway, rolled the film, then, in the new CP packman-, with a long roll of black smoke, was a pair of RS-2's, not 3's, but I learned later some of the 1st diesels on Canadian Pacific, pulling a very long, I think 40 or 50 or so... whitewashed CPR cattle cars...and a wooden van like the ones modeled here.....if you didn't notice the power, the rest of the scene could have been 1873, nowdays the $5 word is 'surreal' -more like a dream come true to a kid, and never to be repeated again.....   
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler