News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 2-10-2

Started by harold, January 09, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harold

can any one who has a 2-10-2 engine tell me if they are having any problems going thru a atlas #4 switches? any infor would be very helpful.
thanks

Atlantic Central

harold,

I don't have one so I can't tell you for sure, BUT, my basic knowledge of both real and model trains tells me that a 2-10-2 and a #4 turnout is a bad idea!

My collection of Bachmann 4-8-2 heavies will not go through an Atlas #4 on a reliable basis.

And, in case you did not know, an Atlas #4 is really a #4-1/2!

Locos with long rigid wheel bases do not like sharp curves or tight turnouts - simple as that.

Sheldon

GN.2-6-8-0

You'll need to understand that long wheelbase locomotives  need larger numbered switch's... minimum would be a no.6 preferred no.8
Even 8 coupled locos won't like and will have trouble getting through a no.4
Rocky Lives

rogertra

A number 4 switch is, in effect, a toy train switch.

A number 6 switch is a model railroad switch.

Snobby?  You betcha but unless you're modelling narrow gauge, or only run B-B diesels or steam smaller than 2-8-0 or the Spectrum 2-10-0, then number six is what you need as a minimum, no matter what the manfacturer's will tell you.

SteamGene

While the USRA light 2-10-2 has a blind center driver,  a #4 will not work.  I agree, it's a toy train switch not a model railroad turnout.
BTW, Roger, I know it's "centre," but is it also "drivre"?  If not, why not?   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

BTW, Roger, I know it's "centre," but is it also "drivre"?  If not, why not?   :D
Gene

Because "drive" doesn't end in "tre" and because "tre" comes from the French spelling.  So there!  :P

Atlantic Central

The Atlantic Central does not use such long rigid wheelbase power. Our mountain grades (1.8%) and sharp curves (36" radius) are not liked by such locos (or maybe the boss just doesn't like the silly look of such large locos on such sharp curves).

Sheldon

TonyD

Gosh! I can barely spelling in English, never mind correct someone's French, so back to the other subject....isn't a #4 a #4 to continue an 18" radius snap track? So, if an engine is 'not reccomend for under XX" radius, then it won't do a #4... but, there is the chance it MIGHT make it by leaving the switch sweep with a short -5-6"? length of straight rather than begining your 'reverse' curve right there, I find some 50' freight cars can't handle that trick, experiment a little before you get rid of the engine- but remember- in steam days, the road engine sometimes COULDN'T back up tight yard switches to drop off or hook up a train, the switchers were called switchers- 'cause THEY could. Equals to #4's are in real life too, but not for mainline power to enter.....n'es pas?
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

ebtnut

General rule:  Use at least a number 6 turnout for all main line track and most yard turnouts if you are running anything larger than a 2-8-0.  Eight and ten-coupled engines, especially those with trailing trucks, don't like small number turnouts.  Ostensibly, the 2-10-2 will run on EZ Track 18" curves.  However, numbered turnouts have a geometric angle through the frog, NOT a continuous curve.  It is this sharp angle that causes problems.  No. 4 turnouts should be used, as noted above, only for tight swtiching areas that will be used only by small diesels and short-coupled steam. 

Atlantic Central

TonyD,

No, a number 4 is not an extension of ANY radius - that is a "snap switch" and it is curved through the frog. A snap switch is aproximatly a #3-1/2.

Sheldon

GN.2-6-8-0

Hoky-doky guys I think the point been made !  ;D
Rocky Lives

rfr0525

I have a similar problem in that I just purchased a 4-8-4 it will not go through #4 turnouts, but it does go through an 18" radius with no problems. Guess I must now change my turnouts?

SteamGene

A #6 turnout is always preferable to a #4.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"