News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann--N gauge 4-6-0

Started by charlii, January 09, 2008, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlii

Would like to see Bachmann producing N gauge 4-6-0's in both 50 and 56 inch drivers. I will immediately purchase 4 of each the day I learn of their production.

ghiii

I've been holding ny breath every since they were first announced a couple of years ago but now I'm starting to turn blue  :)

I sincerely hope they can be produced in the near future. I'm in for three to start.
I'd even buy 'em without motors.

George

taz-of-boyds

I'm not holding my breath, but I guess I'm waiting with baited breath?

I could use a straight boiler 50" ten wheeler for the GC&C passenger loco.  However, I need the tapered boiler 66" drivers for my two C&P ten wheelers.

Charles

Will_Annand

Sign me up for 3-4 of these babies as well.  ;D

brokemoto

Many of us want a ten-wheeler in N.  That wheel arrangement is probably the most asked-for type in N scale,currently.

Fifty or fifty six inch drivers on a 'modern' ten wheeler would be too small for my purposes.  On a nineteenth century ten-wheeler, they would be allright.

In Horrendiferously Oversized, B-mann  had them in fifty six and sixty three  inches.  If one size is all that they would  offer in N, sixty three inch drivers would be the better, as it would satsify those who want to use them either for passenger or freight.  SIxty three inch drivers was a standard freight size.  While that size is a bit small for passenger work, it does allow for a measure of speed such that they could be (and were) used on local passenger trains.

I would prefer sixty six or sixty eight inch drivers, I would live with sixty three.  I might pass on something with fifty-XX sized drivers as I  already have decently operating and constructed smaller freight power.  I do not often pass on smaller steam.  If it were a nineteenth century ten-wheeler with drivers that small, I would buy it. 

What N scale does lack is some decently operating and constructed smaller passenger power.  On a 'modern' ten-wheeler, the sixty three inches would be a compromise that would satisfy everyone.       

The nineteenth century is becoming more attractive to N scale modellers as there is now some decent equipment out there.  There is a need for a bit more variety in the nineteenth century rolling stock that is available, although what is out there is mostly pretty good.    The Athearn/MDC power is reliable; there was a lack of reliable power for some time.  The B-mann eight wheeler could use some improvements.  With extended break in, good trackwork and metal frog switches, it is not that bad a locomotive. The Atlas/MicroAce mogul is also pretty good, but it is more finicky about the track conditions than is the B-mann eight-wheeler:  the Atlas stalls more frequently.  The B-personn also pulls better.

If Bachpersonn were to issue a nineteenth century eight wheeler, perhaps it could upgrade the eight wheeler at the same time.  The eight wheeler was the most common wheel arrangement of the nineteenth century.  There is currently none available that has the reliability of the MDC/Athearn power.  The other major gap is the ten wheeler.  The manfuacture of those two wheel arrangements would make available at least one of each of the most common nineteenth century wheel arrangements:  eight wheeler. mogul, ten wheeler and consolidated.

spike

I'll add my vote for a ten-wheeler. Preferably with 57" drivers - something along the lines of the CNR G-6-a to be specific: http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/diagrams/g-6-a.jpg

thirdrail

Let's see this one, with 68" drivers. A Bachmann motor ought to fit in this:

8)

johnTom

How about this try kitbashing a 4-6-0 model from Bachmann's Spectrum 4-8-2 and 2-8-0

The 2-8-0 shell and the pilot (lead) truck from the 4-8-2

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom