News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"My" version(s) of a 2-10-2

Started by rogertra, January 09, 2008, 04:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Believe it or not, I have three "Superstore" christmas promotion 2-10-2s on the GER.

"Superstore" is our local "Loblaws", Canada's largest supermarket chain that trades under various local names.  For several years, they produced a Christmas train set.  The locos, until Christmas 2006 were usually IHC locos with the usual steam roller flanges.  However, Christmas 2006 they came out with what is, in effect, the IHC (Made by Mehano) 2-10-2 but with the correct Elesco feedwater heater matching the Elesco feedwater pump.  The iHC model has a Worthington heater with an Elesco pump.  Only thing that was missing was the "DCC ready" board in the tender.  Adding DCC is easy anway, so this was no big deal.

I ditched the ugly tenders that IHC supply with this loco and replaced them With Spectrum "Hicken" oil tenders converted to coal and shortened by about four scale feet to make them look more "Canadian". To the locos I added vestibule cabs, moved the dome, sandboxes, bell and a few other details to make two classes of 2-10-2 for the GER.  They will be the biggest engines that the GER owns.  In the photo, the far right engine is not quite complete as it's missing the turbo generator, low water alarm and muffler all from just in front of the cab. The white running board stripe will go when the engine is decalled.

GN.2-6-8-0

Rocky Lives

SteamGene

Ugly tenders?  Very C&O like, I say.  Dawn, suh.  Pistols for two.  Coffee for one.  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

DaveS

Great job!
I have one of those and was wondering if you had posted pictures and info last year on the DCC install. I have just joined the DCC world and would like to install a decoder in mine. I can follow directions but don't have the knowledge to plunge in without guidance.
Thanks.

rains train

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

rogertra

DaveS.

I've only installed DCC in the one tender as a trial.  I've run the loco on a friend's model railroad.  It was easy for me as he did the install for me and told me "It was easy."  I believe, but don't quote me, that the Hicken tender may have come with a "DCC ready" circuit board so it was just a case of connecting tender wiring to the loco's wiring.

DCC will be the next major project.