News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Recomended Engines

Started by rains train, January 09, 2008, 10:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

I need some opinions of some good engines, or engines you all like. I'm looking to get a new engine to replace an old one. It can be steam or diesel. Post your thoughts!  :)

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

Conrail Quality

Hmmm... let's see. If you want modern power, it's hard to beat the Atlas AEM-7 and the Bachmann HHP-8. Both are good runners and highly accurate. Plus they both look...unique, to say the least. The Toaster and the Bannana, respectively, are their nicknames. Certainly more appealing than all those boring diesel hood locos!
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

rains train

Could I get some pictures with these sugjestions?  ;D

grumpy

First of all go with steam.Then go with an Athern4-6-6-4 Challenger with or without DCC and Sound preferably with DCC and sound. I have been playing with it now on my layout for a month.
Don

SteamGene

How large a layout do you have or will have?  While I endorse Grumpy's selection of steam, even a C&O H-8 would look strange on a 4x8 with 18" curves, even though the Rivarossi version will negotiate that tight a radius.  In addition such large engines were designed for large trains, something you can't really manage on a 4x8. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

I would go with the 2.8.0.  The jack of all trade locomotive.  Most railroads had them as they can be used in the yards or on the main.  They are small enought to run and look good on all layouts.

ebtnut

There are lots of "good engines" out there.  Atlas, Athearn Genesis, Proto2000, Walthers, Bachmann Spectrum.  Give some thought to the following:  What do you like in railroading?  Modern diesels, or earlier generations?  Steam locos?  And then, what sort of layout do you have in mind?  If it is just a small 4x8 "starter" with 18" curves, then you need to stick with smaller locomotives--smaller steam locos (the Bachmann Specturm 2-8-0, for instance) or diesels with 4-wheel trucks, like GP-40's for instance.  Larger layout with broader curves (24" or better), then you can consider larger locomotives and bigger rolling stock, like 85' hi-cube box cars or full-length passenger cars. 

willrupe

I myself have a unknown number of engines that would most certianly f1t into your good running category. It would be hard to reccomend a specific locomotive for you witout knowing more details about the type of railroad you are modeling and it's setting. Factors to consider are whether you are modeling mainline or branchline, fast freight or drag tonnage. Whether passenger operations will be included or not, and choice of era meaning the window of time that you are using. Another factor to bear in mind when these choices are being made is whether you are following a specific prototype railroad. This is vital to your decision making even if you are modeling a fictional division of your favorite railroad. A fully freelanced railroad may allow you to take more liberties with the exception that good prototype (all railroads ) practices should be followed to keep the realism factor at a high level. Another factor in making your choices could be what your skill levels are. How much of the work involved in modifying a model to your needs can you do yourself? Do you belong to or can you visit a local model railroad club? During the visit ask them to if you could run or if someone could run a model that you are interested in. The decision you should make is what model fits your needs best. You may have to visit your local library and while there ask the librarian to help find some books to check out. Read them and you may be able to answer your own questions Books cataloged under the Dewey Decimal System  on real railroads start with the number 385.xxx and those books dealing with model trains start with the number 625.xxx. If you would like to discuss this further I can be reached at this web address:       willrupe@yahoo.com         I would like as much imformation as you feel willing to provide so that I could give you a more specific answer. I also urge you to visit the following website which belongs to the model railroad club I belong to:      http://www.qcsme.org     Use Yahoo when visiting this site as Google often says it is unable to find it. Hoping to hear from you soon.  Yours, William rupert

rains train

I have a layout going around a 10' by 10' room. It protrudes from the wall 27" on one side, 21" on another, and 2 16" sides. It's a fairly good sized one. I don't have near all the track yet, but I have 2 loops around it now and only 1 engine and a few rolling stock. I'm looking for rolling stock now too then, as well as engines.

Anthony08

Many of the brands previously mentioned, such as Atlas, Athearn, Proto2000, Walthers, etc... do certainly produce quality engines (I do'nt think anyone mentioned kato, which is also makes a good quality loco).
However, Broadway-limited makes very high-quality locomotives, however the only downside is certainly the price. Broadway-limited, however, also has a "Blue Line" locomotive brand that has the same high quality as its other locomotives and all engines come with sound, but they take out DCC which dramatically reduces the cost.  they also own Precision Craft Models, which is EXTREMELY high quality locomotives with an EXTREMELY high price. So if you want top notch quality, be prepared to pay. In my opinion, the blueline is just as good, especially for me since I don't have DCC yet (and it really is significantly cheaper).

Well, I think you see my point. I feel like I'm beginning to be redundant.
Check out http://www.broadway-limited.com

grumpy

I have a Broadway Ltd. Blueline 4-8-4 with DCC and sound .Lovely sound!
Don

rains train

I'm thinking of getting some type of 0-6-0 with DCC and maybe with sound. Any sugjestions for brands? Links to the locos?

grumpy

I don't know of any  0-6-0 with DCCand sound or just DCC . I would go with a Mantua classic 0-6-0 - it is DCC ready with the nine pin plug.
Don

rains train

I'll look at K-10's to see if they have any.  :)

ebtnut

I would look at the Proto2000 USRA 0-6-0.  It is a very nice model, runs well, and IIRC it is either DCC equipped, or DCC ready.  A number of railroads received the 0-6-0 during the USRA admistration, so it is a good general purpose switcher.  The B&O had bunch of them.