News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

comparison K-27 and EBT 12

Started by bob kaplan, January 10, 2008, 10:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Can someone direct me to stats for a comparison of both engines in terms of wheel base, overall length, width...etc?  i have tried a couple of books on the EBT, but they do not give the measurements.  i do have those of the K-27.  The net provides great pictures, but i cannot locate measurements.
  Thanks.

Kevin Strong

#12's dimensions--(per Collins drawings)

Total length (including tender) over beams 56'

Total Wheelbase (including tender) 49' 3"

Total Wheelbase (loco only) 26' 2"

Rigid Wheelbase 13'

Width (over cab) 8' 8"

Height (over stack) 12' 1"

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thank you Kevin.  Can you direct me to a place where i might find the diagrams....obvisiously...i am kind of "green" here.
  Thanks
     bob

Kevin Strong

So far as I know, plans for #12 have never been published in the magazines. I've got a hard-to-read scan of the Collins drawings, but I don't know if they're still available. I'd like to find a clean print myself. These drawings do have some errors on them. The Baldwin erector's card drawing was published in the Timber Transfer (Vol 9, n.1) which is available from the Friends of the EBT's Company Store. Search ebay for FEBT, or email febtstore (@) comcast.net.

Drawings for nos. 14 and 15 (the mid-size mikes) were published in the November 1975 Railroad Model Craftsman. The large mikes (16 - 18) were in the September (?) 1961 Model Railroader.

Later,

K

bob kaplan

Thanks again Kevin!!   Your knowledge and time are appreicated.
bob

bob kaplan

beating a dead horse...
comparing data i received from Charlie M. and Kevin S., it appears that the K-27 is a somewhat bigger engine than the EBT #12.  So it does seem possible that the #12 might be a candidate for a release that would run on 8 ft diameter curves. 
                                            K-27                                      #12
total length                      60 ft 9 in.                                 56 feet
total wheel base              51 ft +                                     49 ft +
extreme width                 9ft 5 in                                     8ft 8in
extreme height                12ft 9in                                    12ft
   but....
engine w.b                      24ft 6in                                    26ft+
rigid w.b.                         11ft 5in                                    13ft

i am guessing that it is the rigid wheel base that would determine the possibility of an engine making around 8 ft diameter curves.  The #12 has bigger values for this key factor.  And thus would not be as successful as the K-12.   Unless perhaps something is wrong with the numbers....any chance of that?   

i know i am assuming a lot...and know very little of the true engines, but might someone explain why/how the #12 has a longer wheelbase even though it is a "smaller" engine over all....at least from the numbers i have.
  Thanks again.
bob             

Kevin Strong

The EBT mikes have blind center drivers, though, so tighter curves can be easily accommodated. Rich Yoder's EBT mikado handles a 4' radius curve, and Accucraft's are stated to do so also.

Larger driver (48") means a longer wheelbase.

Later,

K

Charlie Mutschler

Kevin nailed it.  The longer rigid wheel base is due to EBT mikes 48 inch drivers, bigger than most 36 inch gauge locos in the USA.  Larger drivers required a longer rigid wheel base.  But the D&RGW mikes were smaller drivered than the EBT 2-8-2s.  In the case of the K-27,much smaller.  K-27's had 40 inch drivers, the K-28, K-36, and K-37 all had 44 inch drivers.  The Sumpter Valley Baldwin 2-8-2's had 42 inch drivers, their ALCOs have 44 inch drivers.  The Oahu's near duplicates of the K-28's had 44 inch drivers.  The WP&Y 70 series have 44 inch drivers.  But the US army locomotives that were re-gauged for the WP&Y have 48 inch drivers. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

bob kaplan

Thanks all....certainly make sense there...At least the "blind" drivers should give it a fighting chase of running on 4' radii.  i do think i read somewhere that Yoder's mike requires an 8 foot radius...but i guess i really couldn't afford it....even if it did run on 4'.  It does look quite the beautiful engine.
   Again...thanks.

Kevin Strong

Some of Yoder's ads stated 8' radius, but that was an error--a manifestation of the confusion which occurs because large scalers can't decide whether to explain curves in terms of radius or diameter. It is indeed 4' radius (8' dia.).

Later,

K

bob kaplan

ah...ha...thanks Kevin.
   That is certainly good to know....now if i can only save the pennies... ;D

glennk28

I got a flyer in the mail today from Accucraft--announcing EBT 12--is this the same one that Yoder is making?  If so, perhaps you EBT guys might contact them and suggest a different number--although they say they're only doing 100. 
Just passing along what I found out today.  gj

Kevin Strong

Both Accucraft and Rich Yoder are doing models of the mid-size mikes (nos. 14 and 15.) Rich's model has the advantage of having a pilot model built, though production units have yet to reach customers. Accucraft's models exist only on paper so far as is known, and are more expensive than Yoder's offerings.

Accucraft is also doing #12, they've been taking reservations for them for around 9 months. Accucraft is making them in both electric and live steam, Yoder is only making electric versions.

Later,

K