News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Drawbar Question for the Bach Man

Started by NickB, January 11, 2008, 03:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickB

Hey Bach Man I got the spectrum 4-6-2 running that I asked you about a week ago.  My next question is there different lengths of drawbars that came with this model.  This is the spectrum model before factory sound.  Reason why I ask about drawbar length is the little fold down platform on the loco does not have enough room to fold down and on curves the loco and tender is close enough the push into each and cause the drivers to lift on the loco and the front truck on the tender to lift off the rails as well.   
Thanks
Nick

the Bach-man

Dear Nick,
The longer drawbar allows operation around sharper curves.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

NickB

the Bach-man

Dear Nick,
If your version is the older one with the straight drawbar, which I assumed on mis-reading your question, there are two holes, providing two drawbar lengths.
If you have the newer version with the four-point drawbar, there is only one length, and, when installed correctly, the deck plate will fit.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Virginian

The little fold down platform is NOT supposed to fold down.  It is supposed to be a footplate and rest on top of the opposing and slightly lower plate on the tender.
"What could have happened... did."

NickB

There is only one way for this drawbar to installed, I assume from the Bach Man's description this is the new one.  No matter what I do it still seems to short for my curves and I have 22 to 24 curves.  Heck my 4-8-4 goes around the curves better than this frustrating loco.

SteamGene

Nick,
In most model steam locomotives, the size of the minimum radius normally doesn't depend on the wheel arrangement, but the specific model.  I have a PFM C&O K-3 (2-8-2) that has a hard time on some 48" rardius, and others which have no trouble on 18"  I'm sure my PFM C&O H-6 would have problems with 18"radius, but my Rivarossi H-8s will handle 18, though they look awful on them.  So the question becomes, which 4-8-4?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

Longer drawbar also allows the fireman to carry a shovel full of coal a lot further.