News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

For the Bach-Man...On30 EZ-Track?

Started by Jeff in NJ, January 11, 2008, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff in NJ

I know the idea of On30 was attractive to Bachmann so they could make narrow gauge O scale models that run on HO track, thus eliminating the need for a new track system. I also don't mind them making their models in On30 rather than On3, which really seems to irk some people I've spoken to(they argue about 3 foot gauge being the prominant narrow gauge in the US and not 30" gauge). I very much like On30 for the kitbashing possibilities being there are so many great HO mechanisms out there to use for a project w/o having to scatch-build the whole thing.

I was just wondering if Bachmann may ever consider making a line of On30 EZ-Track w/ all of the great features of their EZ-Track line, but w/ more prototypical tie length and spacing representing narrow gauge track? I know you can get prototypical On30 track and switches by companies such as Peco, Micro Engineering, etc, but I love track-and-roadbed systems such as EZ-Track. I don't mind the HO track at all, just wondering if this would ever be considered. You could even use the same rails as the HO track, you would just need the tooling for the roadbed/ track base.

Thank you...

the Bach-man

Dear Jeff,
I don't believe there's any thought of that, at least for the foreseeable future.
The Micro Engineering track is great, and don't forget the LID line of turnouts, too!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Dusten Barefoot

I would love to see the EZ-On30 track.  It easier to maintain and clean. I understand where Jeff is coming from, it is hard to make ballast for track with out doing somthing wrong, or at least that is what happens to me. I hope bachmann will give in and make some On30 EZ-Track. Jeff you got my vote for some.
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

JimPost

Mr Bachman

You mentioned the LID tunouts...I searched for them online, and could not find a reference...can you point me in the right direction?

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
They're made by the folks at Light Iron Digest:
http://www.maine2footquarterly.com/turnout.htm
They're excellent!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

450sel

LID turnouts are the best....I bought about 10 of the turnouts and it's exceptional quality. I can recommend them to anyone, the after-sales service from Gary ( the owner of LID ) is very friendly and professional.

Ron

DSmit

I'd like On30 E-Z Track too.  On30 modelling is expanding.  I'll bet there's a market there.

It's a lot of fun having a railroad layout that guests can play with. I think it's a great introduction to the hobby.  Unfortunately, the present E-Z track looks really out of scale with everything else in the layout. It gives it a toy-like quality that doesn't sppeal to adult friends as something they really want to live with.

Woody Elmore

There were many narrow gauge railways and most were run on a shoe string budget. There weren't too many that had nicely ballasted roadbed.

I'm not sure that something like EZ track with proper O scale size ties would even be possible. What size ties would be used,what spacing  between tiers and would I be paying for ballasting that I might want to remove?

The flrex track mentioned above is "EZ" enough for me.

Woody Elmore

Pardon my typing in my last post. I was was referring to spacing between ties, not tiers as I have written. The dimension of ties - width and height, as well as length - varied widely from railroad to railroad so it would be quite a feat for Bachmann to produce a one size fits all generic On30 generic sectional track.

Even if Bachmann did come out with a properly proportioned track for On30 there would always be a multitude of critics who would find the track wrong for their application or too expensive.

The Current products are fine. I realize that Peco may be too European for some, but with a little judicious weathering and burying of ties, I doubt that anybody, except the most annoying nitpicker, could tell the difference.