News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Separate Doghouses?

Started by Ricky, January 12, 2008, 02:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky

I am hoping The Bach-mann reads this post. I bought the #455 green boiler K27 ...because I wanted the green boiler, and the particular lettering and logo that come with it...however, I also want the Doghouse to put on it....(I know, I know...it is NOT correct to the timeframe that this locomotive represents...BUT, and here's the catch, this is MY railroad, in MY yard...so there...and we should be able to "cheat" a little bit here and there, right? ...and I want the Doghouse on my #455. PLEASE, Mr. Bach-man, offer the Doghouse for sale separately for those of us that want to add it to our engines!.
By the way, like I mentioned in another post....My K27 arrived yesterday...and this is the most beautiful model locomotive I have EVER seen or owned! WOW! It is absolutely beautiful! Thank you Bachmann!!  Keep this kind of stuff up! You guys are GREAT!!!!....let's see now....the next logical step would be, of course, to do a K36 or K37!!!  YEAH!!! ::) I KNOW I would buy that IMMEDIATELY!....and make one of the lettering versions the Cumbres and Toltec!  :D

Thanks again, Bachmann!

Rick

Ricky

Rick here again....one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post about the Doghouses...before someone else points it out, I know that someone will mention that another manufacturer makes the Doghouse to buy separately...I believe, in brass,...however, it is about one hundred and ten dollars...and I can't afford that! YEOW!  (I know...I bought the K27....it was an absolute MUST HAVE item...and I saved up for it for quite some time to make it possible).  I will start all over putting money aside...in a container labelled "K36 or K37"...and just keep adding to it until one of these locomotives gets made, IF one gets made, by Bachmann, of course...BACHMANN   ::) so that WHEN   ;D that happens...here's hoping...someday...I WILL be able to buy it!  Thanks again, Bachmann!

Rick

Tony Walsham

Now this looks like the perfect opportunity for some enterprising small craft kit manufacturer(s), to offer just such a kit(s).

Good luck to them if they do.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

r.cprmier

Tony;
What is the latest battery technology, and how might it apply to this locomotive?  I have now about six Fn3 locomotives-the two k-27s making that number; and before I start setting up the railroad, I want to get some knowledge on this subject.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

tommygunner

Mr. Bachmann,
I thought the ideal package for BACHMANN to offer would be all the SMALL parts that make the different variations of the locos ie, plows ,doghouses pilots. If you look at the drawings sent with the locos its the parts in the boxes on the drawings. The kit could incude other items like builders plates, plow brackets( to fill on holes on smokeboxes)and extra headlights. The kit could also serve as a source for commonly broken parts like handrail brackets and pilots. To offer it in plastic wouldn't be real expensive and would allow modelers the chance to make limitless variations.  Anyone else out there besides me who would buy the kit ??? 

Ricky

Tony Walsham

Quote from: r.cprmier on January 12, 2008, 10:54:02 AM
Tony;
What is the latest battery technology, and how might it apply to this locomotive?  I have now about six Fn3 locomotives-the two k-27s making that number; and before I start setting up the railroad, I want to get some knowledge on this subject.

Rich

Hi Rich, No disrespect intended, but I have never quite understood why the fascination with only the latest technology, or in the case of batteries, the latest chemistry.

Without going to far into the subject here, although I have researched the matter, the only chemistry I will consider for some of the larger locos such as the k27,  are the old tried and true NiCd batteries in SubC size or larger.
They last longer, in terms of the number of recharges possible, than NiMh, They do not sef discharge in weeks like NiMh can and do, and they can handle pretty well any load without spitting the dummy.

Where space is a consideration I only ever use AA cells made by Sanyo called ENELOOP that use hybrid chemistry of Alkaline and NiMh.  These batteries are guaranteed to hold 85% charge for 12 months and will not self discharge in a matter of weeks like NiMh will do.  I only use them when the load is unlikely to exceed 1 amp draw. They are not big enough for the K 27 which is likely to draw around 3 amps with a big load and going up a grade.

Others have had success with Li-Ion and Li-Pol.
The only brand with the requisite built in control electronics I have heard of, is Crest, made by/for AristoCraft.  Unfortunately whilst I understand they have gained a reputation for reliability, they are only made in 22 volt packs.  Fine if you want to play slot trains, but a voltage waster  that generates heat, where a more sensible 14.4 volts is adequate for the job on hand.  The K27 which lopes along just fine on 14.4 volts.

Those are strictly my opnions.
You make your choice, you pay your money.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

K487

Rick, Tommygunner and All:

I definitely agree with you both regarding requesting Bachman to make  available separate doghouses and other parts (pilot plow, plow brackets, etc.)  And yes I would buy them or the kit.  I would image Bachmann could make them inexpensively in plastic (they already have the molds don't they?) and sell them at a reasonalbe price.

Hopefully Bachmann will sell enough K27s to make these parts available.  I  think many/most of these parts would also fit on any of the other K series engines that Bachmann would make.

Bachman - will you please make these parts for us?

And yes Rick, we do indeed think alike on wanting a K36, and also having a supply of parts able to install (pilot plows, doghouses, etc.) as we feel like it (even though it may not have a strict "prototype" for that particular locomotive.)

And you never know, for instance, when some of us might have an extra pilot plow and then buy another K-series locomotive in order to make use it.  (Have I done things like that before?  Yup.)

Doug

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Please know that I am lobbying for all the parts, and am optimistic...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

K487

Ricky

Hey Bach-man!

Thank you!...you're doing great! Keep it up!.....

and keep us informed on the above mentioned parts!

Thanks!

Rick