News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas and Friends dcc

Started by sparkyjay31, January 12, 2008, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Bach Man.  Are there any long term plans to release ANY of the Thomas line with dcc?   ???

Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

the Bach-man

Dear  Sparky,
None that  I know of.
Sorry!
the Bach-man

sparkyjay31

I've read the threads not only here, but on the MR forums about how difficult the install is, and not for a first timer.  If the engine were produced dcc ready that might convince me to give it a shot.  But I can buy a dcc equipped Spectrum 4-4-0 for less than it will cost to buy a Thomas and decoder.   :o

I'd like to run a Thomas, but not that bad.  Sounds a bit crazy to me.

NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

max (uk)

Well its all to do with choise of decoder. the ones that come with Bachmann engines can cost as little as £9 ($18?) but you can buy decoders that are suposed to be 'better' (no idea how) that can cost up to £50 ($100)

willb

the more expensive decoders have sound, but there is usually not enough room for the decoder and a speaker in thomas, percy, or toby.   depending on where you look online you can find some decoders for about 14 usd.  these will control direction and speed and lights if you add them. 

sparkyjay31

I am a Newbie, and with that sometimes comes odd and maybe dumb remarks, but here goes.

Is Bachmann missing something here?  Is DCC not the future and perhaps even the present of MR?  Why would anyone not release a new product at least DCC ready?   ???  As a new modeler I would buy nothing, not at the very least, DCC ready. 

I'm confused and maybe misguided, but there it is.
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Guilford Guy

The Thomas Range is directed at younger children, beginners in model railroading. Younger Children do not need DCC and such. As they get older if they stay they can probably install a decoder themselves since it isn't too hard. Just 8 soldering points and checking to make sure the  motor is isolated from the frame(I bought an alco at a show for 50$ whose motor was isolated but the decoder was fried since there was a steel screw holding the motor to the loco. I bought a lenz decoder and nylon screw and all is well).
Alex

max (uk)

DCC would be a good idea, as it adds more play value. But if you dont know what your doing, alot of problems can come with it.

To the coment on space and sound decoders. How about one thats designed for N gauge, not sure the power output would be good enough tho.

DCC ready thomas engines would be a VERY good idea. As from there it realy is plug in the decoder and away you go (plug in and play).

To make things even more confusing, i have a UK Junior loco. It is made from a Bachmann thomas chassis. The Junior engine IS DCC ready. Whats going on?  ??? Shurely some work must have gone into fitting the socket and making it fit within the chassis. So why cant the work put into this loco go into Thomas engines for sale in the US.

Also there is a UK DCC set that has English-a-fied Thomas and Percy engines. Which both should be fitted with sockets. So Bachmann US can sell DCC ready Percy's too.

The Bach-Man, do you know any reasons for this confusion?

Oh and GG, im not too keen on soldering Decoders as what if it doesnt work etc. Mind you, im planning on making my Hornby Toby DCC, as i would like the engine its going to be to run on my DCC layout.

StanierJack

Quote from: max (uk) on January 16, 2008, 04:04:06 PM
DCC would be a good idea, as it adds more play value. But if you dont know what your doing, alot of problems can come with it.

To the coment on space and sound decoders. How about one thats designed for N gauge, not sure the power output would be good enough tho.

DCC ready thomas engines would be a VERY good idea. As from there it realy is plug in the decoder and away you go (plug in and play).

To make things even more confusing, i have a UK Junior loco. It is made from a Bachmann thomas chassis. The Junior engine IS DCC ready. Whats going on?  ??? Shurely some work must have gone into fitting the socket and making it fit within the chassis. So why cant the work put into this loco go into Thomas engines for sale in the US.

Also there is a UK DCC set that has English-a-fied Thomas and Percy engines. Which both should be fitted with sockets. So Bachmann US can sell DCC ready Percy's too.

The Bach-Man, do you know any reasons for this confusion?

Oh and GG, im not too keen on soldering Decoders as what if it doesnt work etc. Mind you, im planning on making my Hornby Toby DCC, as i would like the engine its going to be to run on my DCC layout.

UK-ified Thomas and Percy - No sockets.

Bachy UK Junior Model - Different chassis, my Thomas and Wilbert both use it.

N gauge sound decoder - Expensive.

max (uk)

Quote from: Sparks on January 16, 2008, 05:17:04 PM
I was thinking the Juniors had thier DCC in due to the no need of eye stuff. But I dunno.  :-X

That makes sence, ish. The sockets at the back of the chassis.

sparkyjay31

All I know is that Bachmann should be able to install a socket in each loco and charge maybe an extra $5 and allow the individual modeler the plug-and-play option?

And I don't believe for a minute that Bachmann meant for these to be used only on small 2' x 4' dc only sets.

NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

max (uk)

Well i would believe it. As they are just electric toys. It Thomas the tank engine.

StanierJack

Quote from: Sparks on January 16, 2008, 05:17:04 PM
Sorry to be off topic, but has there been any progress on Wilbert since he was shown on Youtube?

On topic: I was thinking the Juniors had thier DCC in due to the no need of eye stuff. But I dunno.  :-X

Check My Modelling thread.