Streamliner pasenger cars need experienced opinions

Started by akakrak, January 13, 2008, 02:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akakrak

I'm planning on modeling one of the Chicago and Northwestern 400's.  I haven't been able to find much of a selection of manufacturers of items in the Cnw roadname.  I see Walthers has a good selection, and Rapido seems to make several cars.   Are there any other manufactures I should look at?  What are your personnel opinions on the brands, pros/cons (minimum turn radius ect.).  Greatly appreciate the sharing of your wisdom.
                                                          akakrak

SteamGene

What ever the lettering,  a full length passenger car is going to need gentle curves.  By that I mean, don't even think of anything under 22 inches and 30 or more is much better.  Walthers cars in show far too much track on my 30" curves. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

akakrak,

Con Cor has 72' smoothside cars in C&NW "400" scheme and while they are freelanced cars, they are very close in appearance to the smooth side cars owned by the C&NW.

I would recommend adding some weight and converting them to body mount couplers. I have several sets of them in various road names and they mak a nice looking train.

They are well suited to sharper curves and should run well on 22" or above even if you body mount the couplers.

I have large curves but have never felt 80'+ cars looked right until you get up to about 48" radius, so even with my 36"+ curves I still run mostly 72-75' passenger cars.

I also close couple my passenger cars and install working diaphragms from American Limited.

Sheldon

japasha

If you used anything under 30 inch radius, it would be a good idea to use 72 foot cars as Athearn and other manufacturers offer.

As much as I like my scale California Zephyr, I can only run it at large clubs to make it look right.

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: japasha on January 13, 2008, 10:33:51 AM
As much as I like my scale California Zephyr, I can only run it at large clubs to make it look right.

Not entirelly true. It just depends on how you create your layout and the illusion you make with it.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

akakrak

I appreaciate the info.  I was originally planning on 26" or 28" curves.  I'll have to do a little revising of my planned layout.  I hadn't checked Con Cor yet will look at what they have to offer.  I'm fairly new to this so thank you for share your knowledge.  Any further insites are welcomed.  Again Thank you.   akakrak

grumpy

Try some Rivarossi cars. Some of their cars will navigate 22" curves very nicely and they are of good quality.
Don