News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Digitrax Zephyr?

Started by rains train, January 13, 2008, 03:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

My zephyr has been working good since I got it, but now for some reason its messing up. When the chosen loco is running it will stop and studder and the numbers on the zephyr will blink and sometimes almost go out, and other lights will turn on and off. Is it a short circuit? What's wrong? Please help!  :'(

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

jfraymondpa

That's how my Zephyr acts when there is a short. 

Does this happen with only one loco or all?
If one then there may be a short in the wiring. If all look at the track work and your turnouts.

-- John

rains train

I only have one turnout and I don't know how to connect it to the Zephyr, so I connected it to a different powerpack, but it was working badly before that. I took my switcher engine off and ran my Dash 8-40C and it worked fine. I put the switcher back on and it ran fine too, but then later it started doing the same thing, and the zephyr's screen was going crazy.

rains train

When I'm running both of them the only one with problems is the switcher....but the Zephyr's screen is still going crazy when the switcher stops or studders.

SteamGene

The problem is probably in the switcher - perhaps a loose wire that makes contact and shorts on an intermittant basis.  What kind of a turnout are you using?  Can you operate it manually?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

Yes, I have taken out the wires for the turnouts and they are manual. I found a little, tiny, magnet on the coupler of one of my cars and took it off. Could that have been the problem? ???

SteamGene

What is your balky locomotive doing now?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rains train

It stopped for awhile...but then started up again...what should I do? A little earlier the Dash even stopped and studdered...

rains train

Could someone please help? :(

taz-of-boyds

You may want to check the whole deal for bits of stuff on the track and bits that may have gotten into the loco's mechanism.  If there was already a bit of a magnet floating around, and there is other bits of stuff like bits of metal that could be shorting things out.

Clean the whole area and check and clean all little nooks and crannies of the locos and everything else that goes on or near the track.

??
Charles

rains train

I knew I had the magnet....but I don't know of having any other small metals  around..

Alex

hobo

Based on your posts it appears that you have two DCC locos that are experiencing problems so I would rule them out (for now).

I would disconnect the Zephyr and connect a DC power pack to the track.  Remove all locos and cars.  Then use a Volt-Ohm Meter to test the track for loss of power, loose connections, and/or shorts.   

I would specifically test to make sure that your switch does not cause a short when it it switched.  Your posts indicate that this is an intermittent problem, so something must be changing while you are running locos.  It may be a loose wire or rail connector, or it may be when you change your switch position you introduce the probem.

If you cannot find any problems with your track work or wiring then I would contact Digitrax for suggestions. 

rains train

Well, when a friend was over he knocked the Zephyr off the table and disconnected the wires. He got yelled at for a LONG time. I would think that would have done something...

WoundedBear

Quote from: rains train on January 14, 2008, 04:23:39 PM
Well, when a friend was over he knocked the Zephyr off the table and disconnected the wires. He got yelled at for a LONG time. I would think that would have done something...

And it never once occured to you to mention this earlier? What a waste of time this thread was.

Send your unit back into Digitrax and have mom and dad handy with a credit card.....lmao.

I spent a career in heavy equipment parts sales.....we had a favorite saying...

"You can't warranty stupidity"

Sid

SteamGene

Never ask a question of a jerk.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat