News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can someone explain track radius to me?

Started by The Old Man, January 09, 2008, 01:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Virginian,  I think I know the battalion.  Laid 3200 out.  Did you know Richard Dechert?  Dead Eye Dick?  If you do, drop me an e-mail. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Anthony08

BACK TO THE TOPIC, what you can do is measure the length of the area you need to fit. So if you have to fit half of a complete loop in an area that is only 30 inches wide, then divide by two, which = 15 inches. Thus, you would need a 15'' radius curve.

to figure out what you're holding, find other peices that are exactly the same as the one you have and make at least one half of a circle.  Measure the diameter (from one end of the track to the other) and then divide by two again, and that's what radius of that particular section of track.

I hope I could be of any assistance to you.

artkent

Hi all,
Bottom of E-Z track. 
BACHMANN
MADE IN CHINA
E-Z TRACK
PATENT NO. 4953785
PATENT NO. 5503330
PATENT NO. D382607
HO 18" R 30 (degree symbol)

Dr EMD

BACHMANN
MADE IN CHINA
E-Z TRACK
PATENT NO. 4953785
PATENT NO. 5503330
PATENT NO. D382607

And you can do a patent search on Google!

http://www.google.com/patents?id=KfoaAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=4953785#PPP1,M1
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

r.cprmier

Gene;
As I said, circular mils are used to measure the cross-section of a conductor.  Each conductor has a circular mil rating, and that is how it is rated for ampacity.

Example:  generally speaking, 500MCM Copper, would be rated for about 400 amps.

Hollywood does have it's BS papers, I'll agree; however, that sonar (echo plotting  the Germans used) was the genuine article.  I just couldn't figure it out.  OK, just about time for "Numbers".  Adieu...
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

TonyD

I got a bad idea! clean the kitchen floor. Take a nail, pound it in the middle someplace, tie a string to it, measure the string, at the lengths you are wondering about, tie on a black non washable magic marker, draw an arc of each radius you want to hold those pieces to. Or, if you are laying out flex track, do it outside, draw the arcs on pieces of stiff cardboard, has to be big, like the side of a big ol' box, cut a good quarter round- or 90 degree chunk. Keep both pieces, to manuever in tight corners, draw the lines for your track radiuses or rad-e-i huh? OR trim the cardboard another half the width of the track and use it to butt up against when you are laying track down.....I guess this is called a template?  and whatever anyone says about the kitchen floor, you didn't hear it from me ...btw, I always heard of degrees in a curve, someone explained it to me once, I forgot, then it was all detailed again for the wold to learn...I feel I am in the company of geniuses..... steam geniuses? keep up the good work gentlemen, stay healthy!!! the world needs your brains......
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Beatle (TrainBrain)

What I did to get my radius, I took a yard stick, drilled a hole on the 1 inch mark. Make the hole big enough to put a nail in. This will be your axis. Now, take your radius (say, 22") and add an inch to it. Now, it's 23". So, drill another hole at the 23" mark. Because you drilled a hole at the one, it became the 0 point. which means the 23" is still a 22". So, now you've got a hole at the 1 and the 23, your nail is in the 1, so put a pencil in the 23. Hold the nail and drag the pencil forward in the yard stick to get an arc. There's you're radius guide line.

Sounds complex, but it's a lot easier than it sounds...if you want to explain it better, tell me.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

SteamGene

Train Brain,
That is a very good solution which works well on a platform layout - that is one built on a flat 4x8 or 5x9 or something like that.  It will not work on a open grid layout by and large.   However, one can achieve the same thing by using the drilled out yardstick to mark out a pattern on a piece of plywood or similar material and then cutting out the pattern to use as a boiler plate.  Just remember that track radius is measured to the center of the track, not to the inner or outer rail.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"