News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Curves.

Started by rains train, January 13, 2008, 05:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

What kind of curves are there? As in, what radius? 18",22",15", are there any others?

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

kevin2083

what is this for- EZ track, snap track, flex track, aristocraft, lionel, kato, HO, N, Z, S, G, O.....?

be more specific
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

Since you are asking this on "General Discussion," it would be best were you to specify what scale you mean.  Since flex track can go to 60-70-80 inch radius or higher - if you have the space - you need to specify the type/brand track.  
A suggestion.  Before you start to post - think about what you want to do. ;D
Gene  
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

HO scale. Atlas track. No roadbed.

Conrail Quality

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

rains train

Could I get some good answers? Any kind of track would work, you can mix track types right? HO scale!  :)

Woody Elmore

How do you mean "mix" track? Not only are their several manufactures, there are also different rail sizes - for example in HO you can use code 100 code 83 or code 70. You can use nickel silver track, brass (if that's still made) and even steel.

It is possible to combine various brands as well as mix codes 70, 83 and 100 track. It takes some doing and often there are no conversion pieces available.

Jake

All of this makes me glad that I model a scale where there are two brands of track, the ones from Aspen Models (Eh...) and the ones you make yourself. :D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

It makes me sad when a person asks a question that he could answer himself by following a couple of hints.  He's given the hotlink to the Atlas website, so there is all the Atlas track to look at and then asks for a good answer.  I can't think of a better answer than what was just given.   In addition the question was asked in a very general nature on the wrong board, since he's interested in HO, not all scales. 
Think before you post.  What do you want to say?  What do you want to ask?  How realistic is the material? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rains train

-.-.........Okaaaay......code 100....steel rails I believe. I'm looking to use peco(maybe) track with atlas.

SteamGene

I'm not sure that Peco makes Code 100 track any longer.  So if you want Atlas Code 100 you may have to forget Peco.  Atlas is far less expensive than Peco.  Nickle-silver is far better than steel.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Chesticus

Quote from: SteamGene on January 15, 2008, 08:55:26 AM
It makes me sad when a person asks a question that he could answer himself by following a couple of hints.  He's given the hotlink to the Atlas website, so there is all the Atlas track to look at and then asks for a good answer.  I can't think of a better answer than what was just given.   In addition the question was asked in a very general nature on the wrong board, since he's interested in HO, not all scales. 
Think before you post.  What do you want to say?  What do you want to ask?  How realistic is the material? 
Gene

Rain Trains you go right ahead and post any questions you want. Not all of us are master model builders, and I am at a loss to this kind of response from someone. trains are supposed to be inclusive and fun. This just makes us look bad.

So, that having been said. There are many different types of curved track that is sectional. Different companies make different radius track. Some are really small like 15r, but I have seen sectional up to 36r. It really comes down to how much are you willing to pay. I have to say that I have still been able to get PECO switches in code100, but they are expensive. Atlas has sectional track that does go up to 22r. Further, they are very cheap. Also, flex trak can be shaped to any desired radius or shape, but be sure to read through some of the "how to" on how to work with it properly. It is not hard, but it does take a few tricks to get it right.

Just google some of your questions and post here. There are a lot of people on these boards with a lot of experience and talent. I can't tell you how much this site has helped me.

Good Luck

Chesticus

rains train

I've seen code 100 Peco as well, at K-10's. What brand makes the largest radius sectional track, and were can I find some? (Code 100)

Dr EMD

Use flex track and create your own curves.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

rains train

I have 2 flex track curves....its hard to use....I can only use 22" or higher, right now I have a loop with 18", that will SOON be gone. Any tips, advise, or anything about how to use/use flextrack better?

Alex
8)