News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH Triplex Question

Started by Steam Freak, January 13, 2008, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

Has anyone bought one of the new HO scale MTH Triplex?  If so, how is it? How many cars could it pull?

SteamGene

For accuracy - how long can it steam?  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Chesticus

I saw the Tri-plex at the train show this weekend. I have to say that I really think it is one of the more impressive models I have seen in the price range. Further, it seemed to be performing very well. That having been said, it was running on a flat surface. I have read on this board that there may be a problem with the engines drive wheels coming up off of the tracks on a grade. So I would wait and see if this probelem persists and can be remedied by the company. Still, it is really a great looking, unusual engine.

Chesticus

Steam Freak

Quote from: Chesticus on January 14, 2008, 01:09:20 AM
I saw the Tri-plex at the train show this weekend. I have to say that I really think it is one of the more impressive models I have seen in the price range. Further, it seemed to be performing very well. That having been said, it was running on a flat surface. I have read on this board that there may be a problem with the engines drive wheels coming up off of the tracks on a grade. So I would wait and see if this probelem persists and can be remedied by the company. Still, it is really a great looking, unusual engine.

Chesticus

The problem with the Triplex has been resolved. It turned out to be a very minor problem. During shipping of the engine to Tony's Train Exchange, the center pole came out of place, which enabled the up and down pitch of the drive truck. Once it was put back in, it worked fine.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
MTH had one running at the WGH show, and it looked great to me!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

Jo-hann;
Will MTH be at the West Springfield show?  I am looking foward to seeing one of these beasts in action. 

Thank you for any reply.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

GN.2-6-8-0

MTH has a video of it running on their website, must say the sound is outstanding and even though i abhorr smoke generaters their's with the use if a fan is impressive,now if they can come up with a non oil base smoke fluid they'd really have something.
Rocky Lives

Chesticus

Yes the smoke wouls be a great thing, but the smell is really bad. My set is in a closed room and I am pretty sure I would die after a while.

The triplex would be a great adition to a layout as long as you are not trying to stick accurately to a specific period as I think that they only used the tri-plex for a few months.

Chesticus

kenp

Looks like an impressive model, from what I can see on their web site. Unfortunately, it is another example of a very large, very rare locomotive, that may be real cool, but not usful for anyone that does not model the Erie, or Virginian. As I recall, the prototypes were not very successful, and were rebuilt into either 2-8-8-0s or 2-8-8-2s.

I assume this engine have the same limited DCC compatibilities as the K-4?

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: Steam Freak on January 13, 2008, 06:10:32 PM
Has anyone bought one of the new HO scale MTH Triplex?  If so, how is it? How many cars could it pull?

It's not out yet...but I'll get one the minute it is!

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 14, 2008, 02:10:58 AM
Dear All,
MTH had one running at the WGH show, and it looked great to me!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Lucky...
Quote from: SteamGene on January 13, 2008, 07:32:39 PM
For accuracy - how long can it steam?  :D
Gene

My MTH K4 came with instructions that said put (believe it) 15-20 drops of fluid in...it goes about 2-maybe 4 weeks.

I think those numbers may be understated! I GOT A MONTH OR 2 OUT OF IT MANY TIMES!!!

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

BaltoOhioRRfan

the Triplex is out, I was running one today in the shop, I was impressed. everyone thought i was running an O Scale engine there was so much smoke.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

SteamGene

I was being faecious.  The problem with the triplex was it couldn't generate enough steam to supply the cylinders.  Sort of like putting a lawnmower carberator on a Peterbilt. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

GN.2-6-8-0

Can you imagine the size of the firebox it would take to generate enough steam to feed 6 cylinders .......even compounding  ::) WHEW!
Rocky Lives

the Bach-man

Dear Rich,
I have no idea- the WGH shows are so busy there's little time for inter-booth visiting. This show we were next to LGB, so most conversations were with them.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

Sort of like putting a lawnmower carberator on a Peterbilt.
Gene;

I think it is "carburetor".  (tsk tsk...)

Also...Most Peterbilts I have seen are diesel...something about fuel injection...

Just breaking your chops, buddy.  Have a great day.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!