Reprograming a pre loved decoder using a E-Z DCC command

Started by johnnyutah, January 14, 2008, 05:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyutah

I have just purchased a 2-10-2 DCC equiped second hand loco, and it has the loco number set in as it's decoder address, can anyone tell me how I can change it back to the default 03 setting using a E-Z DCC command station?

sour rails

Not sure exactly what you mean, but try this.
Make sure the loco is not on the track.  Press and hold the number three button and then press the stop buttom.  If the power light flashes rapidly, place the loco back on the track.  Now press number three again.  If the loco jerks backwards slightly, you know it worked.  If it does not, then I can't help you.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

johnnyutah

What I mean is that the locos ID has been set as 508 (loco running #), but as I understand I cannot call up a number like that on a E-Z DCC control, now if I could I would leave it or have no problem changing it.

Pacific Northern

The manual instructions

REPROGRAMMING DECODERS WITH PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED DIGITAL ADDRESSES
You can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3. If
the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we’ve just described to assign a new address to a
locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive’s original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming
procedure.
However, if the locomotive’s digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the
“Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address” section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and
holding down the number 3 button and the “Stop” button. At this point, you’re ready to assign a new digital address to the
locomotive. Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command
button (1 to 9). The locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the
“Stop” button to exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.
Pacific Northern

jmart4173

Just to reinforce these instructions. I followed this procedure over the weekend with an Atlas engine that had an Atlas dual-mode decoder programmed to the engine number. Got it programmed to a single digit number with my EZ Command system with no problem!

Joe

Quote from: drhone on January 14, 2008, 04:10:37 PM
The manual instrucitons

REPROGRAMMING DECODERS WITH PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED DIGITAL ADDRESSES
You can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3. If
the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we’ve just described to assign a new address to a
locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive’s original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming
procedure.
However, if the locomotive’s digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the
“Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address” section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and
holding down the number 3 button and the “Stop” button. At this point, you’re ready to assign a new digital address to the
locomotive. Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command
button (1 to 9). The locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the
“Stop” button to exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.

johnnyutah

Thankyou all, I am very impresesd by the help and the speedy enthsiastic aid you all demonstrated. I am very new to the whole train world (well new in respect to the fact that I have not touched a train since I was 10 some 30 years ago) especially DCC and it is a little confusing at this stage, thanks again.

The Old Man

And why we're on it, why is it "pre loved"?  Is it no longer loved?  ;)

keystone

Refering back to this and several other threads, I see 7 functions that are available on the controller of the EZ Command system. Would someone be kind enough to furnish the functions 3 thru 7 ? I have found the Bell at 1 and Horn at 2 . What are the other 5 ? Also the part number for a 2nd throttle.