News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Name That Locomotive Game

Started by Guilford Guy, February 19, 2007, 10:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr EMD

#24 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philidelphia USA as works number 51803 and was completed in May 1919. She was built for the 2 foot gauge Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad in Maine, USA and was the last loco built for that railroad and indeed for any two foot gauge line in the USA. She had 33" drivers, 12" x 16" cylinders and weighed 54,000 lbs. The tender weighed another 37,000 lbs and held 2,000 gallons of water and 3 tons of coal. She cost $15,808.
Interestingly, Baldwin made a mistake during her construction and built the tender to wide, misreading 84" as 8' 4". She was delivered to the railroad in this condition and, though it was noticed during her unloading, she went into service with a tender 16" too wide. It was found necessarry to keep the tender pretty full of water, for if the level dropped too low, it's sloshing about had a bad effect on the loco's ride. This continued for several weeks untill July 10th 1919. On this particular day, she was operating a train of pulpwood cars over a trestle bridge whith too little water in the tender when the sloshing of the water caused the tender to de-rail which in turn caused the trestle to collapse. #24 and all her train were de-railed with many of the pulpwood cars being totally wrecked and, although the train crew of five suffered various injuries, thankfully no one was killed. Immediatley after this, the tender was cut down to correct size in the SR&RL work shops and she then performed as well as any of the railroads other loco's.
#24 worked the SR&RL untill its closure on the 30th June 1935. In the fall of that year, she was bought by a rail fan - Mr Robert Sawyer - for a reported $250. Mr Sawyer stored it at Mose Ward shed at Phillips, part of the SR&RL for several years. Sadly he never did anything with it and eventually sold it for scrap.
Quote from: Guilford Guy on April 08, 2007, 10:41:16 AM
http://www.trainandtrooper.com/SRRL24.jpg
Where and when was she built, track gauge, operated in what state.
This is an easy one  ;D ;D ;D
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Dr EMD

What railroad/railway did this locomotive use to belong to, and what was the clue to it's former road?

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

scottychaos

Quote from: Dr EMD on April 11, 2007, 09:59:15 PM
What railroad/railway did this locomotive use to belong to, and what was the clue to it's former road?

My first thought was "ummm..its an ex-UP engine, and the clue is the UP paintjob and UP herald on the nose!"  ;) :D

but then I "got it"

its an ex-CNW loco..the clue is the bell on the nose!  ;D

Scot

Hamish K

Not an entry for the game but a comment on an earlier post

Quote from: Dr EMD on April 08, 2007, 09:24:31 PM
#24 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philidelphia USA as works number 51803 and was completed in May 1919. She was built for the 2 foot gauge Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad in Maine, USA and was the last loco built for that railroad and indeed for any two foot gauge line in the USA.

No #24 was not the last 2 foot loco built for an american line if you include industrial, construction or tourist railroads. A couple of examples: 3 were diesels built in 1949 for industrial service, later in tourist service on the Edaville Railroad. See http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/MNGRR_diesel1.html
(thanks Scotty)

Some 2 foot gauge Shays were built for construction work in 1920. #3123 was probably the last see http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/dataframe.htm

There were probably other post 1919 2 foot gauge locos built for American lines, these are just a couple of types I know about.

Hamish

kevin2083

Since nobody has gone in a while, I will give it a shot.

how about...

1. location
2. wheel gauge
3. year retired

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Guilford Guy

Alex

kevin2083

nope. its less than a meter, but still metric. It also lives on an island
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Guilford Guy

Alex

kevin2083

Still "no." 2.5 meters is not less than 1 meter- it used to be, but now it isn't. (1<2.5)
It's a 2-10-2
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Joe Satnik

Dear Kevin,

I have to give credit to Google on this one, with the help of your "2-10-2" clue.

1. Patagonia, Argentina
2. 75 cm
3. Late 1990's (1997?)

As far as I can deduce, the picture is of RFIRT (Ramal Ferro Industrial Rio Turbio) 107 with 116's tender.

http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/rfirt/santafes.htm

A very nice map of the line is shown about 2/3 of the way down on this web page:

http://www.railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/9_frameset.html

I yield to anyone else that wants to make another entry. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

kevin2083

Quote1. Patagonia, Argentina
2. 75 cm
3. Late 1990's (1997?)
Very nicely done! (1997 is correct). And yes, you were also right about it being #107 with 116's tender.

may the next contestant please come forth...
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Guilford Guy

Alex

WoundedBear

You need to disguise your links a little more....lol...

"The Swiss Federal Railways had a highly electrified system during the Second World War, but retained little 0-6-0 tank engines for shunting. Due to war conditions coal was in short supply, but hydro-electricity remained plentiful. Therefore some of these small steam locomotives were converted to raise steam by electric heating. Power was taken at 15 kV, 16.6 Hz* from overhead lines by a pantograph, and fed to resistance heating elements in the boiler, via two transformers rated together at 480 kW. Water feed was by normal steam injectors. These unique locomotives also retained the capability of being fired by coal in the usual way."

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

Guilford Guy

Alex

WoundedBear

from what I read.....the class is E3/3? not totally sure if that's a class or a model designation.

Is this one in non electric form?