News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new idea for on30

Started by Chatzi473, January 18, 2008, 05:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatzi473

ok i know mountain models makes the k-27 in on30 but there are two looks the k-27 and i think Mountain models only does the after the rebuild look of the k-27s what wee see today as 463 and 464.

So Bachman can do the original look of the k-27s when they where first built.

the original look to 463  (they also had slopeback tenders at one point)

Charlie Mutschler

Chatzi,
A gentle correction - the photo is of the D&RG Class 125 after the D&RG made a couple of significant rebuildings, rather than as delivered. 

As built in 1903 the D&RG Class 125 locomotives were Vauclain compounds.  As you noted, they also had slope back tenders.  The decision to rebuild them with simple rather than compound cylinders came in in late 1905, though the first rebuild as a simple was not completed until 1907.  The results were a reduction in maintenance costs, so all of the remaining 14 were gradually converted to simples.  The rebuilding of the tenders to rectangular tender tanks came in 1918.  The photo is before 1924, when the class received boiler tube pilots and cross compound air pumps. 

Happy modeling

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

max (uk)

I could get away with one of thoughs more than a late k-27. But what is that strange box in the headlight area?

Charlie Mutschler

The headlight in the photo is an early electric headlight,which looks very similar to the old oil headlights of the 19th century.  Class 125 came with oil headlights in 1903.  In 1915 the D&RG rebuilt all 15 with new smokestacks, generators, and electric lights.  Some of the smaller, older power kept these boxy headlights long after the newer and larger locomotives had round Pyle headlights that are familiar to us on the modernized K-27s. 
Happy modeling. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

max (uk)

Well i would get one if the headlight was changed. I mean the 'boxey' oil headlights looked better than that!

Tomcat

Well, a On30 K-27, showing all different variations would be a cool thing. Not all of us have bought a MMI K-27 and I´m sure this would be a Top Seller just as I expect the Bachmann G-Scale K-27 to be in short time,...

Personally I would enjoy to have another one from Bachmann, even since I have a MMI K-27. But why not taking a chance and build a RGS Loco, for example - the RGS No.74....?

There are rumours that Blackstone could come out with some On30 Rolling Stock since their HOn3 seems to sell pretty good. They look good, they run good,... I just picked up that there could be something coming out of their pipeline in On30. Wouldn´t be surprised when it will be DRGW or RGS...

Take your chance, Bach-man! ;)

Kind regards, Tom

ossygobbin

tomcat
someone posted this on the on30 conspiracy regarding on30 cars

I emailed sales@blackstonemodels.com [the model section of Soundtraxx]
and they've replied, "Not sure who the [forum] poster is, but the
information is incorrect, at least at this time".

sorry to burst your bubble
stuart

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I tend to agree with Ossy's comments about Blackstone.   Paul Maynard,  at Lin's Junction,  in Lansdale,  Pa has an announcement sheet of three upcoming HOn3 cars,  due to release over the course of 2008.  So,  if they are still expanding their HOn3 line of equipment,  it may not be the best time to time up capital,  trying to expand into the O scale world.
       That being said,  as the owner of several of the Blackstone cars,  both weathered and un-weathered,  and three K27s,   I would love to see what they can do in O scale.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

max (uk)

Quote from: Tomcat on January 19, 2008, 07:40:49 PM
Well, a On30 K-27, showing all different variations would be a cool thing. Not all of us have bought a MMI K-27 and I´m sure this would be a Top Seller just as I expect the Bachmann G-Scale K-27 to be in short time,...

Kind regards, Tom

Yes, for one the MMI one is a On3 model that you can buy with On30 wheels, this makes it dwarf any other On30 engines or rolling stock.

Also a MMI one is WAY out of my price range, at over £400, i could buy two or three bachmann locos for that price.

Also there inst meny reasons for a D&RG mudhen wondering on to my layout in the east. Although i think one of the origonal ones maybe with a sloped back tender would look more at home on my layout, aswell as being a Caterlog engines which bachmann are aiming for.

After all these reasons to make a K-27 or a generic D&RG loco, I have to make a little comment. I would prefer a hiesler.  ;D

Tomcat

Hi there all!

Well, there were rumours over here in Germany about Blackstone and On30, but it seems they just were some kind of guess...

Would be great to have a more affordable Mudhen from Bachman.
I do have MMI engines, though, but the first K-27 was not what I had expected from such a expensive loco. No good runner, derailing and the Sound was a nightmare. Finally put a Tsunami in and did some slight alternations - she does run now...

Kind regards, Tom

Ken

If Bachmann came out with a K-27, would seriously have to look at
getting one  and letter for the Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico.
   400/401  x 458/459.

Ken
    GWN

Charlie Mutschler

Two Thoughts: 
NdeM 400 and 401 would be easier to model using the appropriate rebuild as your starting point.  D&RGW 458 was one of the first four piston valve rebuilds, and had the inside canted cylinder blocks, No. 459 was part of the second batch of piston valve rebuilds, and had the outside canted cylinder blocks, like the Fn3 K-27 Bachmann is selling.  Either way, it would be much easier to start with the correct cylinder configuration and Walschaerts valve gear than to start with the slide valve and Stephenson valve gear in use before the rebuilding.  (Note that the D&RGW did not rebuild four of these with piston valves - Nos. 450, 451, 457, and 460.  Only 460was used much after 1929, all four slide valve mudhens were scrapped in 1939).  You would still need to fabricate the oil tank, and NdeM steel cab, shorten the stack, reposition the headlight, etc, but you would have a very distinct model of an unusual prototype. 

The On2.5 (On30) vs On3 (On36) issue.  For most people modeling USA prototypes, the reality was that the vast majority of both industrial and common carrier narrow gauges were 36 inch gauge.  Not 24, 30, 31, 39 3/8 (meter), or 42 inch gauge.  Yes there were prototypes, especially industrial railroads, in all of these gauges in the USA.  But the vast majority were 36 inch gauge operations.  So what the On30 trend has seen is a lot of people looking at this as a way to enter the field of O scale narrow gauge modeling with less cost and less time invested.  This is possible if one is willing to compromise and use standard H-O track, and a non-prototypical gauge if your chosen prototype is not 31 inch gauge.  If you really find the wrong gauge for the prototype distracting, you can opt for re-gauging, and laying your own track.  I know a lot of On3 people have re-gauged 2-6-0's, Climaxes, 2-8-0's, and even the Shays.  I gather at least one brave soul has narrowed one of the Forneys to 2 foot gauge.  So, regardless of how you approach it, have fun!  If building switches and hand laying track isn't your thing, On30 seems like a good compromise.  I've gladly regauged my On30 stuff to On3, but I don't mind hand laying track. 

Happy modeling.
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

japasha

Charlie,

Thanks for some words of sanity. A lot of people aren't inclinded to look at the reality of what was built. While it is nice to have the biggest and baddest, most people don't realize the prototype environment.

The NdM mudhens were converted to standard gauge when the line they were on was converted. Trains ran a picture in a 1961 issue and it seemed much too small  for the new underpinnings.

br549

Bachmann will not produce the K series in 0n30 for the simple fact MMI offers them. If you haven't noticed ,Bachmann only has released models that no other MFG has produced.  Bachmanns production models are "exclusive" to the market.

IMO I wished they would produce a K series in 0n30 but that would be the snow ball's chance  in  :-X  scenario. Cant say we all haven't tried to change their minds...
Nice thought  though I gotta admit ;)
:)