News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale decoders

Started by ttgolfer, January 14, 2008, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttgolfer

This question is for the Bach-mann, or anyone else who has an answer.  My G scale layout is controlled by LGB's MTS system.  If I purchase a Bachmann 55 Ton 3-Truck Shay with decoder and sound installed, will I have to replace the decoders with LGB's MTS decoders, or will it run on my layout straight out of the box? Thank, Tom.

glennk28

That's the purpose of the NMRA standard for the DCC system--so that the decoders are interchangeable.

ttgolfer

Yes, I understand, but I was told by a knowledgeable dealer, that his customers were changing the decoders to MTS, and I was wondering why.  Thanks for your help.

Colorado

Nathan

I have used several other brands of decoders on a friends MTS system, and have used MTS and other brands on my NCE no problem.

Nathan

Nick Hall

Although you will not need to change the decoder in the Shay, you will need to reduce the track voltage coming from the LGB MTS central unit. This is likely to be 21-25 v (AC) which will cause the decoder in the Shay to cut out. You need to install a number of bridge rectifiers in series with the track feed to reduce this to below 21 v, then the decoder and sound work really well. A circuit diagram and other information is available at www.atlasrr.com/voltage.htm or at tonystrains.com/technews/soundtraxx_heats.htm

Nick Hall

ttgolfer

Thanks Nick and Nathan for your help.