News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 4-4-0 Prototype...at least close...

Started by Jeff in NJ, January 14, 2008, 08:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff in NJ

I know the new On30 4-4-0 is based on the Mt. Gretna RR (Lebanon PA area) 2-foot gauge Baldwin catalog 4-4-0s, but here's a 3-foot gauge 4-4-0 I found that's fairly close...

This 4-4-0 was from the Waynesburg & Washington RR in SW Pennsylvania. It was built by the H.K. Porter company. I know there are differences, such as the bell position, dome style, etc, but the driver size, driver position and many other aspects are close. A W&W RR 4-4-0 could easily be made from one of the new B-mann models.

Melinda

Do you have any "specs" for this loco? It looks quite a bit larger to my eyes, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.  If you know where to find some basic dimensions, we could compare them.

Jeff in NJ

Quote from: Melinda on January 15, 2008, 11:40:06 AM
Do you have any "specs" for this loco? It looks quite a bit larger to my eyes, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.  If you know where to find some basic dimensions, we could compare them.

I didn't find any specs for this specific loco. I'm guessing it would have been a bit larger considering the Mt. Gretna locos were 2-foot gauge and the W&W locos were 3-foot gauge.

hminky

The locomotive in the picture is a typical 1880's 4-4-0. According to the book Three Feet on the Panhandle No. 3 had 40" drivers and is much larger than Bachmann's effort.

Harold