News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diesel Ideas

Started by YellowHillsCentral, January 14, 2008, 11:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHillsCentral

Hey everyone,

I was wanting to make a locomotive of my own.. any suggestions?? I am just starting.. so any advice is welcome..

Thanks !
Shay Ludlow

calenelson

if'n you're in the mood for diesel and want a "Large" 1:20.3 Narrow Gauge Locomotive, check out on the the online retailers running the Bachmann 45 ton GE Switcher for less than $80.  If that doesn't suit your fancy, you could always buy and bash it into something else.

Good Luck
cale

YellowHillsCentral

i've always have been a fan of the Bachmann 45 Tonner.. but I'd like to, like you said, bash a diesel.. but i don't know what to do to get started, what to do when I've gotten started.. yadayadayada.. any chance you guys have any sites or advice for a fisrt-time scratch builder? That would help alot  :)

Thanks,
Shay

Kevin Strong

I'd certainly be inclined to start with one of the B'mann diesels. Even if you just use the trucks, $80 for two power trucks with sideframes (and siderods) is a great deal. What you build on top of that is entirely up to you.

There are a few places you can look for inspiration. The first would be back issues of the Narrow Gauge Gazette. Check with your local model railroad club if there's one around, and see if anyone has any back issues they'd loan you. Another idea would be to look for books by Dave Frary. His HOn30 Carabasset & Dead River RR has some well-proportioned freelance diesels that would make great models in 1:20. Light Iron Digest magazine is also another option for ideas.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Later,

K

altterrain

President of

YellowHillsCentral

Thank you all for your help!  I have designed a diesel and plan to use either the 45 tonner or Aristo Craft's RS3 wheels for it.

Shay

YellowHillsCentral

Well we've decided to change the disign, and get a little ahead of ourselves in the modeling.. heheh.. we've ended up deciding on a White Pass ALCo locomotive.. Any tips for that would be great!

Thanks,
CSLM

Kevin Strong

Might I suggest the past few issues of Garden Railways, specifically Burl Rice's series on resin casting, and Eric Ogundipe's article on scratchbuilding his SD70MAC (at least I think that's what he built. It's a diesel, I know that much).

That's an ambitious project. Good luck, and post photos of your progress.

Later,

K